CH15. Falling In Place

28th FEBRUARY, 2017

28th FEBRUARY, 2017.

ABUJA, NIGERIA.

It was a couple of minutes past midnight when she heard it. It wasn't discreet nor was it light which threw out every thought she had of him trying to hide it from her out of the window she sat beside. Her head was resting on the couch she's sitting on while her eyes closed but judging from his footsteps, she could tell it was him.

"Why are you just coming back now?" She asked, once she heard the footsteps much closer to her than earlier. She didn't bother to move from her position nor open her eyes but what she said was the only thing he needed to know she's wide awake—and waiting for his return.

He ignored her, his coat hanging over his hand carelessly with neck tie loosened. He was tired to say the least, and the last thing he's in the mood for is her endless, ridiculous rants that means nothing to him.

"I'm talking to you, Noah!" She called out, much louder this time when she heard the footsteps start fading from her earshot. She opened her eyes and glared at him. "Don't forget I am still your mother boy!"

He stopped in his tracks, a sarcastic laugh escaping his throats as he turned to look at her. "Easy there woman. You seem to be getting ahead of yourself" The chuckle died down, and so did his mood. He walked towards her form, eyes narrowed and lips set into a tight line, "You are nothing but a nanny. Always have been and always will"

"That's not what the world thinks"

He scoffed, shaking his head, "I don't care about what the world thinks. You are not my mother so stop acting like it!" He couldn't stop his voice from raising slightly. He had been trying to keep his anger in for so long but with the way she had been acting, it's been hard. She acts as if she's his mother.

"You didn't have a problem with it before" She wasn't fazed by his anger. She knew he had small control over his anger, she knew that first hand. And that was one thing she'd forever hold against him.

"That was ten years ago. Things have changed because you seem to be so caught up on who you've become" He gave her a onceover, one which showed how much detest he had for her.

And for the first time since he came back, she felt genuinely angry. How dare he treat her like this? She gritted her teeth as she glared at him. Raising her pointer finger at him, "Don't forget Noah, everything I've ever did was for you" Her voice was low, but loud enough for him to hear her clearly.

He huffed slightly, "I never asked you to do that, did I?" He didn't wait for her answer, as he turned around and stormed out of the place as he has no intention of staying under the same roof as her.

~*~

Noah walked to the parking lot of the house he along with Maria had been staying in since she got married to the man that's the former minister. The man had divorced his wife, Juwairiyya's mother, shortly after he met Maria and in just a couple of weeks, he married her. That was seven years ago.