CH24. Lurking In The Shadows

4th MARCH, 2017

4th MARCH, 2017.

KANO, NIGERIA.

"I'm really disappointed in you Ameerah"

Ameerah grimaced at her faculty's Dean, Professor Vivian's words. However, she couldn't get why exactly the Professor is disappointed in her when she did nothing wrong.

"You've been flunking and for as far as I know, you're one of my brightest students" The professor went on, waving her hands to express her words. She sighed deeply, then turned around to look at Ameerah, "Look...Ameerah, your father is a close friend of mine which is why I'm talking to you about this, and we both know he wouldn't like it when he finds out that you're failing all your courses, and you're a final year student for that!"

Ameerah closed her eyes then looked away—unable to meet the piercing gaze of the Dean. Her eyes moved to the group of students that walked about in campus—some having little to no care in the world, some having their noses buried in their books while some are genuinely catching cruise.

"Your tests recently...you've been failing them all"

Apparently. Ameerah knew there's no way she could fail with the way she studied for those tests. She was sure that she got every answer correctly.

She shook her head then looked at the Dean, "But Professor...I did everything correctly. I'm sure of that"

"So what now?" Professor Vivian raised a brow, "Are your lecturers lying?"

"No but—" She didn't say it, but that did not mean she was not thinking it.

"I'm really disappointed in you" The professor repeated, her brows drew in as her lips tugged down.

Ameerah's phone pinged at the moment but she ignored it. She had so many problems to deal with at the moment that she didn't care about the phone. She knew she didn't fail but for her to prove that, she had to provide evidence, which she does not have.

After her meeting with the Dean, she went back to their hostel where she met Juwy sitting on her bunk, a text book laid on her lap and her reading glasses perched on her slender nose.

The girl looked up when she heard Ameerah's footsteps; offering her a smile which turned into a frown when she saw the gloomy look on her friend's face. "What's wrong?" She asked, pushing the book off her lap.

Ameerah sighed deeply as she made her way over to her bunk, narrating the story of what happened to Juwy—leaving the parts the girl did not need to know out. By the time she's done telling her friend what happened, Juwy looked taken aback.

"How did that happen?"

"I don't know" Ameerah shrugged, shaking her head as she leaned back on the wall.

"I mean you have been depressed since what happened yesterday and you haven't been yourself in the past couple of days but...that shouldn't be enough for you to keep failing, right?"