CH12. Game of Lies

Kano State,

Kano State,

Nigeria.

9th February, 2017.

"I'm tired Allah!" Ameerah exclaimed, plopping onto her bunk bed which she shares with her friend. Someone she met in her 100 level. She didn't make friends right away in the university. She took her time in getting to know the people first before she chose her friends. And till date, they are still good friends.

It's her final year in the university as a medical student and to say she was exhausted would be an understatement. She didn't know how she managed the past six years but those were the hardest years of her life. However, as long as she passes her exams this year, all will be worth it.

In simple words, this year means a lot to her. She couldn't afford to mess up in anyway.

Her friend chuckled, "We just started and you're complaining. See this girl fa" She said, plopping next to her. She turned to Ameerah who has her face buried between her pillow out of exhaustion, "Hey! It's our final year you know that right?"

"Of course I know that" Ameerah's muffled voice came, "The suffering won't ever let me forget"

This made her friend chuckle, "Exactly" She pulled Ameerah's shoulder back, making her turn, "We have to pass this year. No distractions, nothing nothing" She reminded her of a mantra she came up with to help them pass the year successfully.

"Yeah..." Ameerah mumbled, wanting her friend to leave her alone so she can sleep the exhaustion away. The lectures she had to attend and the assignments she had to turn in that day drained her up—not to mention the lab reports.

"And that means no laziness" Her friend added. This had Ameerah opening her eyes and offering the girl a sheepish smile.

"Come on, there's room for a little bit of laziness yeah?" She asked.

Her friend gave her a deadpanned look.

"A tiny bit then?" She held her thumb and index finger leaving a small gap between them. She sighed and rolled her eyes seeing as her friend wasn't willing to budge, "Alright I get it. No room for laziness. Fine. Can you get off my bed now, I need rest else I can't function properly"

Her friend stared at her for a while, wondering if she should trust her and let her rest or she should drag her out along with her to the library where they'll study together. She shook her head and got off the bed, "I'll come back and get you in three hours, we have to study"

"Alright alright" Ameerah waved her off, "I'll see you later" She yawned, pulling her pillow closer to her head. She heard the sound of the door closing a couple of seconds later, and that was when she was finally able to sleep.

But she knew her friend was right. This year, there's no room for any form of distraction.

They can't afford it. Their education and life is on the line.