3. An Encounter In Belarus.

In the centre of the capital of Belarus, the Minsk National Gallery stood. The elegant white-brick building was adorned with large glass windows and multiple crimson dome roofs, with the centre roof having a large flagpole proudly flying the country's flag, sticking out of it.

The interior of the building was decorated with cream-coloured hardwood floors, and the walls painted a calming sage green. There were numerous paintings displayed on the walls, red rope barriers protected the paintings.

A janitor in a traditional blue jumpsuit and hat stood and mopped the same spot for 5-minutes, which didn't go unmissed by a pair of boars, who were working as security guards.

"Watch it." - One of the guards spat, as he intentionally collided with the cleaner, spilling some of his coffee in the process. - "And clean that up."

"Don't hassle him Nick." - The second guard remarked. - "He's just janitor, he'd probably doesn't even know how to read."

The boars snidely laughed walking away from the janitor who went back to to clean. Waiting until the two had turned the corner, before beginning to speak in a hushed tone.

"Two more guards patrolling the sculpture department." - The janitor reported, stealthily scanning the room for camera's. - "Maybe we can blame the heist on their incompetence, get both their asses fired."

"By my account." - A voice responded. - "That makes 13-gaurds, 22-cameras and an INTELLISAFE 6th Edition Improved Security-System." - There was a pause. - "This isn't going to be easy, Lou."

His beak formed a grin. - "Of course, it is not going to be easy, but that's what makes this fun."

"But Louie-"

"Come on Amelia. We've dealt with more guards and camera's before. And we've beaten GRIMLOCK, compared to them, an INTELLISAFE system is as secure as a rusty padlock."

Louie continued down the hall, counting another 3 cameras as he passed.

"Hey, what are we even after?" - Lucy questioned. Waiting in the front-seat of the teams camouflaged surveillance van stationed down the street from the museum.

"We're after a marble statue depicting the fall of Icarus, sculpted by famous artist Viola Beatrice. It's been appraised at $7.5million." - Louie stopped for a second, as another patrol passed. - "How much of the museum have we cased?"

"Depending on the path I'm guessing you want to take. I'd say we have cased all we need to."

"Perfect." - Louie turned his cart full of cleaning supplies around. - "In that case, let's get out of here, before we attract any unwanted attention." - Swiping a stolen ID, Louie entered into the custodial changing room, quickly swapping into a far more casual outfit, though not his trademark jacket. He pulled a baseball cap over his head, before leaving.

As he headed towards a fire-exit which's alarm had already been tampered with, in order to make a quiet exit without going through the front door. The teenager thief noticed the pair of guards who'd just insulted him, hassling another person, this time an actual janitor.

Diverging from his path, Louie made sure to 'accidently' bump into the two boars. - "Sorry." - He mumbled, before quickly disappearing, he rummaged through both wallets, taking any cash he found, before dumping both of them in the nearest bin.

"Taking wallets now? I thought you were better than that."

Turning. Louie came face-to-face with someone who he thought he'd never see again.

"Maria."

The women standing opposite him, was a duck with long head-feathers, which were white with dyed red tips and tied up in a ponytail. Her outfit consisted of cream dress adorned with black spots under a jean jacket. What mattered to Louie however, was the golden pendant that hung from her neck, the one decorated with an emerald so small, it was the fraction of a size of a penny.

"Hey Louie, it's been a while."

The two stood in an awkward silence for a moment, it had almost been a year, since the two had last seen each other, on that bridge in Belgium, in the middle of the pouring rain.

"I don't suppose you would like to go get a coffee and catch up?" - She brashly asked. Louie could hear Amelia's voice in his ear, she was spouting some sort of warning. But Louie didn't listen, he'd already made his decision.

"I'd love to." - He smiled. When he continued to hear voices, he plucked the nearly invisible earpiece out and followed the other teenager to the small café just outside the museum.

Luckily, since it was 10:22 on a Tuesday, the building was basically empty, allowing Louie and Maria to swiftly order, and take a seat at a nearby table.

Maria watched as Louie cracked open the off-brand Pep. - "Still not a big coffee person, I see."

"I'll maybe have one in the morning, but that's usually all I can stomach. Why should I drink that garbage, when I can have a far nicer drink?"

She smiled mischievously. - "Well it is a drink for mature people."

"Please, I'm definitely the most mature out of the two of us." - Maria scoffed, which spurred Louie on. - "You're the one who still sleeps with like a hundred stuffed toys."

The girl gasped in fake shock. - "I cannot believe you'd call me out like that!"

"Believe it." - The two's little chit-chat was interrupted by Louie's phone buzzing. Slipping it out of his pocket, he saw it was Amelia calling.

"Is that Amelia?" - The teen opposite guessed. Causing Louie to give her a look. - "She never really liked me."

"To be fair, the first time you met her, you almost blew up her lab." - He declined the call and put his phone on the table.

"How was I supposed to know that that switch wasn't for the lights, but instead to activate the building self-destruct features?" - Louie chuckled at the memory, causing Maria to laugh along with him. - "Well, this has been fun, but I've got to get back to work."

"You on a job?" - He asked.

"Yeah, I'm just on my way to pick up some supplies. I'll see you around, Lou."

"See ya, Ari." - As Maria got up and left the café, Louie took a second to enjoy the short break from his work, he finished his drink, and reached for where his phone had been, only to see it missing. - "Oh no."

Leaping from the chair, Louie rocketed out of the small establishment. He looked around for the girl he'd just shared a drink with, but she had seemingly disappeared. He pulled his earpiece out and put it back in.

"Amelia, I need you to track my phone."

There was a slight delay, before she replied. - "Why would I- Oh no Louie she didn't."

"She did." - Louie sighed.

"Give me a sec." - The comms went silent as she attempted to search for it. - "It must be tuned off."

"No, she's using a signal tracker. Dammit." - He ran his hand through his head-feathers. - "She has access to all of her research... She's going after the statue."

"Are you sure?" - Lucy joined the conservation.

"It's the most valuable piece in the museum, what else would she want?"

"Well what do we do?"

"We do the only thing we can. We steal it before her."

Thanks for reading Ch.3 of 'Legacy', I hope you enjoyed and also hope you comment, vote, follow-me and read Ch.4 -MM