26. Final Exam.

--------------

   The gigantic mechanical first of the bronze automaton came crashing down onto the stone floor where Louie -who just managed to roll out of the way- had been standing.

When it's fist raised, it revealed the small crater it had created with its attack.

Louie circled around the being, but like an owl's neck, the creatures entire torso swung around, already primed for another attack

Dodging once more, the teen was beginning to get tired, the two steampunk behemoths he had been tasked with defeating, were much harder to destroy than the various smaller versions he'd just dealt with, they were also much more deadly to boot.

They were slow though and their attacks were telegraphed, so they were easy to avoid, but he could only avoid for so long before he ran out of energy and was squashed like an ant under their elephant-sized feet.

While he would eventually run out of steam, they ironically seemed like they could go on for ever. The sword he had taken from one of the smaller bots hadn't even made a scratch on the the thick metal hide of one of the beasts. It just bounced off, like it was made of foam.

He wondered if anything could hurt them and if this was like a test of reasoning, like with the bottomless pit, that actually had a bottom, then he wondered if they could even hurt themselves...

There was an idea.

Dropping his sword, the teen used his superior speed to use, he circled one of the bots, ducking under its pipe-sized arm as it tried to stop him, then he used the hinge on the back of its leg to leap up onto the being's back.

Digging his hands into the well of the automaton's neck, the teen held on for dear life as it the robot tried to buck him off, it's arms not being able to reach and pull him off.

As the second bot approached, retracting its large fist back, readying for an attack, Louie pulled back. The automaton's gigantic fist smashed into the chest of its friend, denting its thick chest-armour and dislodging the being's head from its body. 

Louie just managed to hang on, while the other bot stumbled back, seemingly stunned.

With the head knocked off, the being was a stationary as a statue- It seemed that the ancient machinery the automaton had been built with, couldn't function without its head, which was supposed to connect to the various wires and gears that directed its movement.

Reaching inside, Louie gripped one of the wires and gave it a small tug and the bots turned to the left. Theorising that the wire opposite turned it to the right, the teen chose a different trigger, which when pulled lifted its right arm.

It seemed that was the only thing he could do, turn and raise its arms.

Now with a basic understanding of how the automaton's controls, Louie waited for the second bot to approach again, before pulling two of the wires simultaneously, which lifted its right arm, and swung 360 degrees.

These two commands resulted in the fist of Louie's bot connecting with the side of the undamaged bot's head.

It seemed like a weak connection between the head and body was common to this type of automaton as like a game of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, The being's head flew clean off and the rest of his body, now unbalance by the momentum of the attack, dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Climbing down from the back of the automaton, Louie was rewarded with his efforts, when the final of the eight wall grooves opened and no steampunk robot came out trying to kill him, instead it revealed a hallway.