34. FOWL Intentions.

-------------

   Louie positioned himself across the street from the skyscraper he'd watched his mentor walk into not five minutes before.

He'd been careful in looking out for cameras or any other security measures and he was glad he did. Two bears in black suits and ear pieces were in the lobby, they were obviously bodyguards and from the way their seats had been tailored, Louie guessed that each was carrying a concealed pistol.

There was also a metal detector and security checkpoint between the front door and the stairs and elevator and at least three cameras covering every possible option of entry.

Louie wasn't deterred though. Actually the only emotion that coursed through his body was rage- had everything been a lie? The induction into the Guild, the challenges he'd overcome? Was it all a trick from someone who wanted to get one over on his great-Uncle?

He walked to the crosswalk up the street and used the crowd that had gathered waiting for the cars to slow to hide in plain sight.

As he walked, he typed the building address in on Waddle and discovered the entire skyscraper belonged to 'The Archimedes Architecture Group' or more succinctly known as the 'AAG'. From the lack of information available about the organisation online as well as the lack of branding on the building, Louie was convinced that AAG was a FOWL shell company.

Most likely for the purpose of hiding the construction costs and importing of materials for their various secret headquarters.

Though the front door was heavily guarded, Louie suspected that the roof was probably a weak point, as while Bradford Buzzard was shrewd and powerful, he was also a narcissist who thought himself smarter than all of his enemies.

Heading into the alley behind the building, Louie was glad to see that FOWL hadn't been smart enough to cover the entire alley—only the backdoor and entrance to their underground garage—which gave the teen some privacy to fire a grapple-line up onto the roof and scale the industrial air conditioning pipes that covered the back of the building like a metal ivy.

He stopped just before he reached the roof, peaking over the edge just in case he was wrong about Bradford Buzzard's ineptitude, but apart from a view rusted vents and a faded helicopter landing pad, it was barren. No security measures whatsoever.

Pulling himself up, Louie approached the door that led downstairs.

It seemed FOWL was smart enough to secure the roof entrance to one of their buildings though still not smart enough to get anything better than the cheap lock already in the door.

With enough force it was easy enough to break the lock and open the door, though it could possibly damage it and alert any guards who might wonder up. It was smarter to pick it and then anybody who noticed it was open would believe that somebody had just left it unlocked.

Tucking his lockpicks back into his jacket, Louie took the stairs down into the top floor and proved his shell company suspicions correct...

The entire floor was filled with cubicles, but something about the way it was presented bugged Louie. Taking a quick look around, he began to see a pattern. There was no humanity in the entire office, no photos of loved ones or novelty mugs. Not even a stain on a carpet. The only thing that seemed to have ever been touched was the small breakroom tucked into the corner, which was probably used by the patrolling guards.

The office was a well-dressed set piece, he realised. Littered with desks that had never been worked out and monitors that weren't actually connected to computers.

Louie was certain that the only reason that this floor wasn't just a series of closed blinds and well placed lights to convince people on the street that this building actually had staff, was because of fears of an actual investigation into the building, during which they'd probably import a load of Egg-heads to act as employees.