35. Return of an Enemy.

----------------

   The Duckberg community theatre was a large tan brick building with a dark tiled roof. Roughly a hundred years old, it had been constructed not long after Scrooge had won the town in the arm wrestling contest against Grandpappy Beagle, who had knocked down the first theatre after he'd swindled the town from the descendants of Cornelius Coot.

Since its construction, the building had hosted hundreds of performances, from centuries old ballet such as Tchaikovsky's 'Swan Lake' to more modern musicals like 'Cats'.

Their next scheduled production was that of the classic tragic love story of 'Romeo and Juliet'.

The theatre was also the happy place of one Dewford Duck, the current casting of Mercutio, close friend of Romeo. A relationship which would eventually lead to his character's death, however.

Despite the fact that the role didn't have many lines or as much stage-time compared to other parts, Mercutio's personality and importance within the plot made him a role which Dewey craved to play, to the point where he turned down the role of Romeo to do so.

Today however, he was more interested in the envelope in his hand than any line on a script.

A few days prior he'd gone to the art supplies shop down the street and got the photo's that were taken on the digital camera he'd found in the trunk in the Manor's garage processed, this morning he'd gotten a text from the store, and earlier today before rehearsal, he'd picked them out.

He hadn't looked at them yet, having promised Huey that the two of them would look together.

Still, as he stood behind the curtain, waiting for the current scene to wrap, so the next one—his last of the day—could wrap up and he could finally go home and take a look, the desire to just get it over with and look at the photos was strong.

A sudden hand on his shoulder, dragged him back to reality.

He had been so lost in thought, that for a moment, Dewey nearly let his instincts takeover. Which would no doubt result in the person who had grabbed him getting a broken jaw and the teen kicked out of the play and banned from any future productions.

He was glad he didn't, as when he looked to see who the arm belonged to, he came to the realisation that it belonged to Tyler, his boyfriend.

Tyler was a Mockingbird, one who had dyed his natural grey and white feathers into a more bright and exciting yellowish-gold. At the moment, he was wearing his costume, a renaissance-era blue tunic and breeches, a faux steel chest plate and a navy-coloured cape.

He was playing Benvolio, the close friend and cousin of Romeo. The play's peacekeeper. In Dewey's opinion, the role suited Tyler well, he was kind and was active in homeless, LGBTQ+ and anti-war organisations. In short, Dewey was certain he was punching above his weight-class.

(If you asked Tyler the same question, he believed he was the one punching up.)

"Are you okay?" - His boyfriend asked, resting his hand on Dewey's shoulder in a comforting motion.

Staring into the teen's aquamarine eyes, for a moment Dewey completely forgot about the photos and the envelope. With a quick smile, he answered.

"I'm fine."

"Then why are you standing here, staring off into space?"

Dewey, not being the most adept liar, said the first thing that came to mind. - "I was just seeing if I could remember all my lines."

Tyler didn't believe him. - "Dewey, we've been practicing for the last five months, you had your lines memorised week two. What's really going on?"

"N-nothing I promise."