30. The Tale of Leo Galló, Pt.4

*Chapter 30!*

-----

Italy, 1999...

   Prince's smile returned. - "Treasury?" - He echoed. Spotting the new tunnel which his men had just excavated out of the corner of his eye. It had been cleared using explosives, before being braced with metal supports and sprinkled with salt to keep them from slipping on the ice. 

Then he remembered he had a prisoner, she already had managed to make him look like a fool once by slipping by his guards practically undetected, he wouldn't make a stupid mistake like that again. 

He turned to Ivan, his large bodyguard. - "Keep an eye on her Ivan." - He ordered, as he followed one of his staff- whose name escaped his grasp- further into the temple.

Down the tunnel, Prince found himself in a newly discovered area of the stone fortress.

Behind the remnants of the ice that hadn't been destroyed or melted under the heat, were stone walls. Spotting a large door made of metal and secure with chains at the end of the hall, Prince came to the same conclusion that his men had, that this was the temple's treasury.

A few of his men had set up a small generator and other equipment such as headlamps and ice-drills, which they'd used to clear the large door of any remaining ice before they'd start attempting to actually open the door.

After a minute or so, a majority of the ice covering the door had melted into water and dripped off of the door, allowing one of his men to chip the rest away with a hammer and ice-pick.

Finally, the door was free. Revealing an intricately engraved entrance so large that the padlock in the centre of the door, which connected the four chains, it could have doubled as the head of a sledge hammer.

Luckily, he had just the tool to make quick work of it.

With a snap of his fingers, two of his employees stepped forward, carrying another one of the secure black crates they were using to transport their equipment. Pacing in front of him, Prince reached down and undid the latches and cracked the lid open.

Inside were four thermite charges, a triggering device and a pair of welding goggles.

"Get back." - He instructed his men, as he picked up an explosive pouches, which had the number 1, stitched into the fabric sleeve. Ripping the back off of it to reveal the adhesive side, he stuck it just above the point where the chains connected- which seemed to be fitted to use a key almost as big as he was- before re-joining his men at the end of the hall, where they'd moved all their equipment behind a defensive wall of extendable blast shields.

Slipping on the specially crafted goggles and a set of ear-plugs, the Rabbit lifted the triggering device out of the trunk. Which looked like a TV remote but with only four buttons and a safety cover to keep the explosive from going off accidently.

Crouching behind one of the shields, Prince pushed the button labelled 1, for a moment the hall was dead-silent, with all of the men holding the breaths in anticipation.

Then came something what sounded like bacon sizzling on an oily pan and a flash of bright light, followed by a bang so loud that the ice around that hadn't melted cracked, just because of the shockwave it produced.

His radio had come alive during the explosion, but he hadn't been able to hear it.

The lock- now nothing more than lump of molten metal thanks to the thermite, fell away. dragging the remnants of the iron chains down as it did so.

Then the large iron door, seemingly impenetrable and formidable against any attack simply creaked open in the wind.

Hesitantly, Prince and his personnel crept towards the door, as though they hadn't encountered any traps yet, the possibility of one in an ancient structure like this was always a possibility. But when he pushed one of his men through the opened door and he didn't scream of shout, he supposed it was a good sign.