Two Operations Part 28

The process to strap Ryan to the operating table was a hassle due to the Titan's back, but the student soon found himself strapped in. While the operating team worked around them, Dr. Kroner explained more about the R.N.R. to Ryan.

Since Ryan was there for his back, the doctor started there, "Among the many benefits to the nanite treatment are the ways it will affect your bones and organs."

"Normally, the nanites would be responsible for adding the carbon structures to a patient's skeletal structure, but since you already have those, I will instead focus on breaking down the deformity in your back." 

"Once the machines have access to your bones, I will concentrate on reinforcing the carbon structures already there and increasing their number, " Dr. Kroner pulled up an AR screen which showed the human nervous system.

"The first step to "upgrading" your nervous system is to wrap a nano-mesh sleeve around your spinal column and major branches. Eventually, these nano-weaves will become a part of your nervous system to enhance your reaction time." The AR screen shifted to show clouds of nanites forming the structures the doctor mentioned and eventually sinking into the tissue presented. 

"Together with the enhanced neuro-plasticity and relay speed in your body, you will experience an increase in perception and reaction speed," The doctor held up his hand to stall any questions, "I don't know how much it will improve your reactions because it varies based on the individual."

Dr. Kroner explained how the treatment read a patient's genetic code and modified the body to reach its maximum potential. Another important target was the patient's mitochondria. Within most of Ryan's body, his mitochondria would be modified to produce more energy, along with his digestive track being altered to be more efficient with less waste. 

While Ryan listened, he watched the operating team pull a large tube from a revolving compartment in the wall. 

The team rolled the tube behind the operating table, out of Ryan's view. Before it was totally gone, the Titan saw a glass panel on the side. Within the container gently sloshed a swirling grey and white mixture.

Dr. Kroner noticed his curiosity and explained, "Expected it to be solid grey? The nanites are injected into the patient alongside a reservoir of raw material for the nanites to work with. The nanites themselves take weeks to begin assimilating with the host body."

Ryan nodded to show he understood.

Behind him, the team hooked the nanite reservoir to a series of flexible hoses bleeding to the restraints on Ryan's arms and legs. Another set of tubes routed into the main branches just in case the doctor needed to inject medicinal drugs into the patient's body mid-operation. 

Despite all the new technology Dr. Kroner's long life introduced him to, he still believed in classic medicine more than nanites.

The doctor finished his brief synopsis as the team hooked up the last operating equipment to the table around Ryan. When the lead assistant nodded at the doctor that they were ready, he turned back to the giant.

"If you are ready, we will administer an anesthetic and begin the operation." 

Ryan's throat clammed up once the moment was upon him. Unable to trust his voice, the Titan nodded at Dr. Kroner to show he was ready.

The doctor raised his hand to signal the team to begin the injection. A clear fluid started to fill the line from the second set of tubes hooked to Ryan's restraints. 

The hollow restraints reached just past the giant's elbow. As the clear fluid reached the casing outside, a hypodermic needle injected itself into the Titan's median cubital vein. The sudden shock of the injection disappeared into Ryan's aches and pains as they waited for the medicine to knock him out.