Stubborn Part 5

Without hesitation, Rydr added all fifteen of his free points to Strength! He started the game to feel strong. He meant that more literally than others might think. The temptation to force his new body past its physical limits was real, and Rydr intended to give in to it.

With the new points, his Strength score had reached twenty-five, like his mental attributes. The ability to catch up mollified him a little—a bit less mage-y and a little more hybrid. I'll take it. 

Rydr turned his attention to his surroundings since he had finished with all the menus. A few people recorded his last crying episode, but he wouldn't find it out for a while. He was surprised to find he wasn't alone in the clearing. A few dozen people spread out on the lush grass and between the towering trees as they struggled to stand up. 

On the forums, people were already blasting MONTECH for making such a buggy game. They could barely walk! A few level-headed divers spoke up and mentioned that it felt like driving a body naturally, compared to other FDVR games. The only problem is that it wasn't your body, so it felt like living in shoes that were too big. You could walk around in them, but it was uncomfortable, and you couldn't run to save your life. 

These people also noted that other FDVR games felt more like you were piloting something, the avatar limited by what the game engine could do. None of the old limits applied here, and the fully rendered experience in an alien body was realistic. Most people needed to learn how to walk. 

Red-faced Rydr continued berating himself while he sorted out his body; it would be a while before he started to check forums. After he put all his points in strength, he could see more noticeable definition in his arms. Rydr was delighted to see visible results, adrenaline surging through him. The image of himself tottering around, arms too large to move, came unbidden to his mind. There has to be an upper limit on muscularity, right?

Rydr looked around for anyone watching, but those that remained on the dappled forest floor were too busy trying to stand themselves. Rydr commando crawled as fast as he could to some boulders nearby. Once there, he clawed at the surface as he dragged his body upwards. His new strength surprised him as he climbed the boulder much more straightforward than he expected. The smooth engagement of power without sharp pain almost made him weep again, but he held it together.

The lumbering giant glanced down to better control his legs and found a pair of plain, gray sneakers on his feet. When Rydr thought back to when he created the clothes he now wore, he never included the shoes. It seemed that Eve was looking out for him.

Once his feet were under him, Rydr started to press down on the ground. Then, one foot in front of the other, Rydr made his way around the boulders. He kept his right hand on their surface but still found himself weaving left and right. A menu-chime sounded, but he shunted it to the side. His notifications ate too much of his time. These people aren't nearly everyone that dropped in Grotto. The others are already ahead of us. Desperation fueled his determination, and Rydr quickened his steps around the boulders.

Soon after the chime sounded, Rydr started to improve remarkably. His steps became steadier, and he stopped weaving like a drunk. Ten minutes in, and he finally stepped away from the boulders.  Rydr stumbled forward a bit but otherwise maintained his balance. Face hot from the almost-blunder, Rydr looked around again. A few people were taking their wobbly steps forward, like him, but he was happy that he wasn't in the last place anymore.

One careful step at a time, Rydr made his way semi confidently towards the town. Each near-miss with tripping sent his heart beating crazily, but he managed not to eat dirt. 

When he entered the trees, Rydr found a short curving path through the woods at the far end of the field. The journey gave Rydr time to practice walking, and he even jogged a little before he almost face-planted.