Chapter 2: Bunny

Her green eyes widen slightly

Her green eyes widen slightly. "That's an unusual name. Isn't that like a love god or something?"

She lets out a little giggle, and I'm not sure if it should offend me. It's a good name. I'm named after the master of love and matchmaking. Essentially, the boss or manager of all Cupids. I don't quite live up to the name these days. Thanks, Penelope.

"Something like that," I reply.

"Well, I'm Penelope Waters." I know. You and that cat of yours ruined my life. "Let's go check out this bunny."

She leads the way out the door into the fluorescent hallway, and I unlock my door on the opposite side and allow her inside. Stopping in the middle of my open plan living room slash kitchen, she looks around, taking in the white walls devoid of photos or paintings, the sparse modern furniture and the clinically clean kitchen counter.

Turning around to me, she gives me an amused look. "So, I probably should have asked this before entering your apartment, but—are you a serial killer?"

I laugh. "No."

She raises a dark eyebrow, but her eyes are twinkling with suppressed amusement. "You know, I'm pretty sure that's what a serial killer would say. And I don't mean to offend, but"—she sweeps her arm out to indicate my living space—"this gives off serious Dexter-vibes."

"I've only just moved in. I have yet to unpack everything." Hopefully, she won't comment on the lack of moving boxes. I fire off what I know to be one of my most charming smiles. "Besides, I only murder people on Tuesdays."

"Aren't I lucky it's Wednesday!" She laughs before looking around the room again. "I can't believe you keep it this pristine with a bunny."

"I'm sure it won't last. I only recently got him."

"Where is he?"

I pretend to look around, then feign concern. "Oh no, he must have escaped!"

She looks a little uneasy. Maybe this wasn't the best plan I've ever come up with. She's probably considering that serial killer comment again. Then she suddenly smiles widely, bends down and picks up a little furball.

"Oh! Here he is!" She pets the chocolate-colored bunny in her arms, looking as relieved as I am shocked.

What. The. Actual. Flying. Fuck? I try not to stare at the fluffy intruder in my apartment. Where did it come from?

"What's his name?" she asks as she puts the creature down on the kitchen counter, running her hands along its back and sides, checking it out.

"Er... Leonard," I blurt out. It's a stupid name for a bunny. But then, Steve is a stupid name for a cat, so she might appreciate it.

After a brief examination, she looks back at me. Her hair—not entirely unlike the chocolate color of the rabbit—has fallen over her face, and she smooths it back behind her ears.

"From what I can tell, your bunny is perfectly healthy," she says, then grins. "But I have to tell you that Leonard is a girl."

"Oh." Way to look like an idiot.

"If she's not eating, maybe she's lonely. Unless you spend a lot of time at home, I'd suggest getting her a companion. Bunnies need company and bonded bunnies are the happiest bunnies."

I nod. I can do that. Matching two bunnies should be easier than matching her and Trevor—yes, that's his name: Trevor. But everything seems easier than matching her and Trevor. Trevor the traitor who will do anyone except, apparently, her.

"If you have any problems, you can always come to me. Not much travel time." She winks at me.

Her jokes are the worst. But kind of adorable in a dorky way.

"Actually, would you mind helping me shop for a companion for... Leonard?" I try to look disarming. "I could use an expert opinion."

"Oh." A moment's hesitation, then she nods. "Okay, sure!"

"How about Saturday?" I ask. "Afterwards I could treat you to a hot chocolate in the park by the ice rink."

The ice rink where Trevor will be with his niece. Women are suckers for men hanging out with adorable children.

She bites her lower lip, considering my offer. "I do love hot chocolate..." I know. "Okay. Let's do it. It's a date!"

I open my mouth to object and point out that it is most definitely not a date, but close it again. It might be best if she thinks I'm a regular guy. And it's my guess that a regular guy would love to take her on a date. Unless they're Trevor.

"Great, I'll pick you up after lunch?"

"See you then!" She hands me the bunny before disappearing out the door.

I hold the chocolate-colored rabbit up in front of my face. "Now, where the fuck did you come from?"

 "Now, where the fuck did you come from?"