Chapter 22: Wedding Day

It ends today

It ends today.

I'm sitting at our table watching Penelope as she's happily chatting with her newly married friend. We're at that part of the wedding where everyone has finished their dinner and dessert, but the dancing hasn't started yet. I love watching her. I love watching her smile. Swallowing past the knot in my throat, I stand up and walk over to her. Kissing her temple, I let her know I'm going outside for some fresh air.

The wind outside is icy more than fresh, but while I can feel that it's cold, it doesn't really bother me. One advantage of being a Cupid. And being a Cupid is all I know. I struggle to imagine myself ever doing anything else. And yet... Going back to my old life is a lot less appealing than it was only a few weeks ago.

A part of me wishes I could stay. Just remain with Penelope, but it's not an option. She is only with me because of my irresistible Cupid aura, and not matching her with Trevor means I have to accept a demotion to Harbinger. Neither role allows you to live in the mortal realm. I'm backed into a corner with nowhere to go but forward.

Forward to a future without Penelope. A future in which she's with Trevor. Once I'm out of the picture, their match should trigger and they will have their happily ever after, and I—

I frown. I will— I will have nothing.

"Why so glum?"

I turn around to find that Penelope has followed me out onto the terrace of the old Italian Villa where her friend's wedding reception is being hosted. She's beautiful today in a rose-colored dress with bare shoulders and a long skirt.

Forcing a smile, I take her in my arms. "Nothing to worry about," I say. "Are you having a good time?"

"I am." She smiles back at me, her green eyes sparkling in the late afternoon light as she watches me. "I'm glad you're here with me."

"Me too." Trying to hide the anguish inside, threatening to spill out, I lower my head and kiss her. As always, she melts into my embrace, her arms sliding around my shoulders so her fingers can thread into the hair at the back of my neck. I could never get enough of this. Not in a lifetime. Not ever. I hug her a little tighter, kiss her a little more fervently. How can I let this go?

I don't even know how to break up with her. Literally. I don't think I could force the words out. I might have to resort to something desperate, like kissing someone else and have her catch us, so she breaks up with me. It's the coward's way out, but I don't think I'm capable of doing it any other way.

She pulls her head away and looks up at me again, her eyes searching mine. "Something is definitely up."

"Maybe I'm emotional because it's a wedding?" Her warm laughter meets my comment, making me smile.

"You barely know Amy, so I find that highly unlikely, but if you don't want to tell me, that's fine."

"I wish I could." It's true. I wish I could tell her everything. But even if I could, it changes nothing. I'm a Cupid. She's a human. Her equally human match is inside the building, just waiting for her to come to him and everything will fall into place. Allowing her to fall in love with Trevor will ensure her happiness. In the end, that's all that matters. Even if leaving her is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.