Chapter 4: "Chance" Meeting

I can't quite believe my eyes as I stare at the attractive woman who rammed me on the ice, making us both fall on our asses

"Penelope Waters?"

She stares at me, green eyes wide with shock, lush mouth slightly open. I'd nearly forgotten about her, not having seen her for some time. She's one of those people who keep appearing in your life but never takes up much of your time. We went to the same high school, later the same college and even the same grad school. I always thought she was pretty hot, but for some reason, we never hooked up. Maybe there's still time to remedy that.

I stand up and wipe some ice shavings off my black chinos before holding my hand out to her. She gratefully accepts, but when I hoist her up, I use a little more force than intended, and she nearly loses her balance again. Apparently, her ice skating skills aren't much to write home about. I quickly grab her by the hips—great excuse—to steady her, pulling her a little closer. She stares up at me, she's even prettier than I remember, and I resolve to make sure we finally go on a date.

Sliding backwards slightly, she puts some distance between our bodies and I kind of wish she hadn't. But all in due time. I remember we kept getting paired for assignments in school and I'd be lying if I said I'd never considered it, but she showed no interest. She was always too focused on her studies to care much about guys. And I was one of the most popular ones. If she'd considered dating, surely I'd have been the one.

Judging from the way she's eyeing me—I know I look good today—that might change. The chance of finally ticking her off my list is quite exciting, and I smile.

"I can't believe I'm running into you here." I smile wider, flashing off my perfect white teeth and two dimples. They're lady-killers, I've been told, and from experience it's true. Chicks generally do like me. "How long has it been? A year?"

"Or two," she replies with a smile.

"How have you been?"

"Good, thanks! You?" She glances over her shoulder toward a blond man standing a few feet away, watching us intently. Is he her boyfriend? Husband? That could complicate my plans.

"I can't complain," I say. "I'm already on the fast track to make partner at my firm. Got a great new apartment recently as well, and—"

"I'm sorry!" She cuts me off, and I can't help but stare. Women rarely cut me off. Even if they have a boyfriend. They might not all fall at my feet, but close to it. And she did literally fall at my feet only a minute ago. "I'm here with someone and don't want to be rude. Catch up another time?"

I nod and hurry to fish up a business card from my pocket, not willing to let her slip through my fingers this time. "Call me. We'll meet for coffee or something."

She takes the card and puts it in the back pocket of her jeans. "Great!" She smiles at me again and I take it as a good sign. "We'll definitely do that. It'll be fun to catch up!"

"Uncle Trevor! Uncle Trevor!" My five-year-old niece, Molly, comes skating up to us. "Are you okay? You fell!"

I laugh and ruffle her dark curls. "All good, it was just a minor bump!"

This is good. Penelope is watching the little girl with a tender expression on her face. Women have a soft spot for guys with children. I can't even count on my hands the times I've picked up a chick when out with Molly. I love my niece, and I'd hang out with her anyway, but her being a chick-magnet definitely sweetens the deal.

I look back at Penelope, flashing her another of my killer smiles. "Get in touch soon, yeah?"

"Will do," she promises with a brief smile and wave at Molly before she turns around and ambles back towards the blond man.

She's definitely not a talented skater, making her way across the ice on stiff legs. It allows me an excellent view of her nicely rounded ass though, perfectly displayed in her skinny jeans. Remembering myself, I glance up at the fellow she's with to find him glaring back at me. Jealous much? This is a good sign, though. It's early enough in their relationship that he's insecure enough to be instantly jealous. That might work in my favor.

I smile inwardly as I take Molly's hand to skate over to the hot chocolate stand. Running into Penelope again has definitely lifted my spirits. It's always bugged me that we never hooked up. Definitely planning to remedy that.

 Definitely planning to remedy that