Chapter 12: Bunny Bonding

"I never thought it'd be this hard to bond bunnies," I admit as I sit on the floor of my apartment with Penelope next to me and a large laundry basket in front of us with two bunnies inside

"I never thought it'd be this hard to bond bunnies," I admit as I sit on the floor of my apartment with Penelope next to me and a large laundry basket in front of us with two bunnies inside. Truth is, these two bunnies are turning out to be about as easy to match as Penelope and Trevor. I guess I'm as bad of a Bunny Cupid as I am a Human Cupid. It's humiliating, really.

Penelope smiles at me, and I instantly feel better. "It can be difficult. Imagine throwing two random people into a house together and shutting the door, just expecting them to get along or fall in love."

I won't lie. That is a tactic I have considered for her and Trevor during my low moments. With their match percentage, I still can't understand why the match isn't happening. Something must be wrong. It frustrates me that Fate won't even entertain the idea that someone could have made a mistake somewhere.

"The more time they spend together, the more they will—hopefully—end up liking each other." Penelope leans in over the laundry basket to examine our captives. They're still firmly on opposite sides, refusing to get close. Brian makes a feeble attempt now and then, but Leonard just isn't having it.

"Forced proximity turning into love?" I can't help but imagine Penelope and Trevor in an enormous laundry basket.

"Something like that." She laughs, and as always the sound warms my insides. It's unsettling.

"Wine?" I ask, standing up, hoping that some distance between us will return my equilibrium. The taste of her lips is still a faint memory on mine since Friday, and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Or stop wanting her. This was definitely not part of my plan. Or Andris's plan, I imagine. Which reminds me, he has been ignoring my calls. I need to ask him about this.

I walk over to the kitchen and get out a bottle and two glasses. It's Friday again and we have already ordered takeaway. One of Penelope's colleagues got the flu, and she ended up working every day this week, so I haven't seen her since running into her and her friend at the pool. Remembering her in the hot tub is not helping my composure.

Uncorking the wine, I glance over at her to see her separate the bunnies after another failed attempt at friendship from Brian. What am I going to do? I worry about kissing her again because I seem to completely lose myself in her. At the same time... Fuck, do I want to kiss her.

I want to lift her up on the kitchen counter and kiss her until she thinks of no one else. I want to take her in my arms and tear those clothes off her body, then I want to kiss every inch of that body until nothing exists in the world except us. I want to—

Fuck! Where is Andris? I need to know if this is a normal reaction to humans. He's been with several through the years, so he should know. It's definitely unlike anything I've ever experienced. While I've never been with a human before, I've not exactly been chaste. It never seemed like much of a challenge on account of them finding Cupids irresistible. But with Penelope, it's all flipped—I find her irresistible now that I've had that first kiss.