Chapter 19: Another Cup of Coffee

I lie in bed and stare up at Penelope's ceiling, not quite ready to get out of bed

I lie in bed and stare up at Penelope's ceiling, not quite ready to get out of bed. She's already gone out, having to run some errands for her friend's wedding, but I've lingered in no rush to leave. The bed smells like her and I'm content here. My bed only smells like the conditioner I use when I wash the sheets. Not nearly as enticing.

A dark shadow appears in the corner of my eye about the same time as a purring noise hits my ears, and I turn my head to stare into a pair of amber eyes.

"Hello, Steve."

Unsurprisingly, he doesn't answer, only keeps staring at me from where he's crouched down on Penelope's pillow. I reach over and carefully stroke him, unsure of whether he'll swipe at me, but he seems content to lie there and be petted.

"What do you want?" I ask. "Food?"

He perks up at this and as I get out of bed and pull my clothes on he stands up and stretches, and when I leave the bedroom, he hops down and follows me. I find his bowl and kibbles in the kitchen and pour some, watching while he eats. I'm loath to leave, already missing Penelope even if she's only been gone for a couple of hours, but I should get back to my apartment and feed my own pets.

Last night was amazing. Too amazing. I try not to think about it, but images of Penelope in bed with me flash before my eyes. Not thinking about her is easier said than done. With a last scratch on his head, I leave Steve on his own and walk across the hallway to my place.

Unlocking the door, I push it open and stop short when I see Andris lying on the couch. What the...? He jerks awake when he hears the door close. I might have slammed it a little harder than necessary. Sitting up, he stares at me, bleary-eyed.

Raising an eyebrow at his unkempt state, I move into the kitchen and start the coffeemaker.

"What happened to you?" I ask as I get two cups from a cupboard. "Did you change your mind about the blonde?"

"Who?" He yawns, dragging his fingers through his dark locks in a futile attempt to tame them. "Oh, yeah. I had a few more drinks but in the end, just didn't feel like it."

"Yeah," I say casually. "She's no Fate."

His head whips around, his dark eyes boring into me. "What was that?"

I smirk. "I said she's not Fate. Not quite the same, is it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he mutters as he stands and comes into the kitchen to take the cup of coffee I hold out to him.

"Sure."

Giving me a shrewd look, he says, "I noticed you didn't come home last night."

"Why did you not go home last night?" I counter. "You rarely stay down in the mortal realm."

He shrugs. "I may have overindulged and didn't want to end up in the wrong place."

"Well, I see you made yourself at home. It's not like you need a key, I suppose." I'm relieved Penelope and I stayed at hers. Having Andris appear midway through our night would have been awkward to say the last. Not to mention it would have been difficult to explain a man appearing out of thin air in my living room.