Chapter 24

"That one looks great on you!" Raina squealed in excitement. "Give us a little twirl!"

Sheepishly, I picked up the skirt of the expensive dress and turned slowly on the pedestal. As Xavier had promised he had allowed all of my friends to accompany me while dress shopping. An action that was highly appreciated considering that this dress fitting was like something out of Saying Yes to the Dress. Mrs. Albertelli and Bella had remained completely respectful, pointing out which dresses they liked and disliked in the nicest way possible. However, the women in Xavier's extended family either had no remorse or like every other Italian woman I had interacted with here, did not think I was fit to marry their beloved Xavier.

"Hmm I don't know. Isn't this one a bit tight, it really shows off her...curves. Maybe something a little looser since she is bigger than our Italian girls," Xavier's frail and heavily irritating paternal grandmother suggested.

I gritted my teeth in effort to stop myself from saying something I shouldn't. The urge to send that bitter old woman six feet underground along with all the other roaches in this room was strong but I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it if I started a fist fight in a wedding dress shop.

I struggled to come up with a believable smile but managed to pull through, "That's fine. I'll try on another one."

I could have sworn his grandmother smirked as I stepped down from the pedestal, only fueling the temptation to knock her dentures out. I sighed, picking up the dress so I wouldn't trip on my way to the dressing room. Would I really have to deal with these racist, body shaming hags for the rest of my life?

I gazed at myself in the mirror as one of the workers loosened the lace of the dress. I wasn't saying that I didn't have my own insecurities but Xavier never pointed them out. In fact, he made me forget about them whenever we were together. When he said he loved me, all of me, he meant it. Or at least he made it seem that way. It was one of the things I enjoyed about being with him. He made me feel beautiful.

So when his family continued to point out every little things they didn't like about me or my body, all these bad thoughts came rushing back. I worried about things that I hadn't even acknowledged in months. Was I "too" big? Sure I wasn't model thing but was difference did it make? I'm comfortable in my own skin and Xavier has no problem with it. Or at least I was.

"I'll get another dress for you to try on Miss," the worker said, her accent almost too thick to understand.

I nodded gratefully before shaking off the dress I currently had on. After hanging it up, careful not to rip a dress that probably cost more than my car back home, I briefly observed my bare body. With a sigh I quickly turned away, It's fine Tori. Don't worry about those women say you'll probably never see them again after the wedding anyway. Only partially reassured, I slipped on a silk robe that hung on the back of the door. I sat patiently, hoping that the girl would return quickly as I was not enjoying this at all. 

A sharp knock came down on the door prompting me to jump up from my seat on the bench and fix my robe so I didn't flash the poor girl.

"Hi again- Oh, hey Erin."

Instead I was met with Erin who sported a nervous look on her face. I hadn't held a full conversation with her ever since I saw her and Noah in the kitchen that one day.

"Tori," her voice wavered slightly. "I...I wanted to talk to you. I really don't want things to be bad between us."

I was a bit reluctant to let Erin in but I a part of me wanted to go back to the way things were. Especially now that I held serious suspicions about Xavier.