Chapter 25

My gaze followed Xavier as he formally shook hands with various members of the Albertelli family. His mother took it into her own hands to throw us an engagement event which meant that the entire extended Albertelli bloodline was now aware of my presence.

I sighed heavily as I pushed around a piece of cake on my plate. Ever since the dress fitting I haven't had a chance to talk to Erin. Every word she said that day was a painful reminder that I could be living a lie. It was a painful reminder that maybe Xavier didn't really love me and I was the fool the entire time.

"How do you feel about this cake honey?" Xavier's mother asked with a pleasant grin. Her and Bella had been incredibly sweet to me throughout this wedding process. They do everything to make sure I'm comfortable and not too overwhelmed. But the one thing that I truly appreciate is that they keep me far away from Xavier's vile grandmother.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I really like the lemon filling."

I gave her a small smile but it was obvious that I couldn't care less about the cake. I hadn't truly cared about anything related to the wedding in weeks. The only thing on my mind was if I was being manipulated. If I was being lied too. And if I was falling for it. 

Penelope nudged my side dragging me out of my burdening thoughts.

"I think Xavier wants you," she whispered.

I looked up to see Xavier two tables across the garden chatting to a group of men that seemed around his age. He beckoned me over with his hand letting me know he wanted to introduce people to me. I nervously twisted the engagement ring on my finger as a nauseating feeling returned to my stomach.

I let the girls at my table know I would be right back as I staggered over to my fiance. My legs felt like jello but not in the good way. I missed the way Xavier once made me feel safe, relaxed. Now I couldn't help but feel constantly on edge in his presence.

"Hi baby," Xavier greeted softly as he planted a quick kiss on my lips.

I forced a smile as I gulped, "Hi."

"These are my cousins on my Dad's side." Three men around the same height stood before me with champagne glasses in their hands. Two had sandy brown while another had jet black hair similar to Xavier's. They were clearly well established men with strong Italian features. 

"I wanted you to meet them before the wedding. After all these are the guys I grew up with."

One of his cousins with lighter hair and freckles reached out to shake my hand, "Hello Tori, I am Franscesco. This is my younger brother Alessandro and our cousin Matteo."

His accent was far stronger than Xavier's and his English was a little shaky, but who was I to judge? I had been in Italy for almost a year now and I could barely hold a conversation. 

"You never told me Tori was such a beauty!," Matteo kissed the back of my hand when we shook hands. "You chose a wonderful bride I must say!"

I scrunched my nose at his choice of words. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting but what he said didn't sit well with me. 

Xavier's hand moved down to the small of my back, "Haha, yes I did didn't I." It was clear that he wasn't amused by the comment but didn't want to start an argument.

The boys continued to catch up about family matters and funny memories. They switched from Italian to English frequently making it easy for me to drown them out. Their voices became background noise as I spotted Erin at the buffet table. I took every bit of me to not immediately run over to her. To beg her to explain what she meant in that fitting room.