Chapter 28

I sat expressionless at our rehearsal dinner. The wedding was still on and everyone was acting as if I hadn't had a meltdown in front if the entire Albertelli family two weeks ago. I watched people cheerfully mingle with each, probably elated to catch up on the past couple years. Not only was this my wedding but it was a massive Albertelli reunion which only added to the imense stress I was under.

"You doing ok?" Xavier tentatively rubbed my back.

I sucked in a deep breath. Of course I had agreed to try to make what Xavier and I have work. But when I wasn't amped up on emotions and arousal around Xavier, it was hard for me not to think about all the ways he could betray my trust in the future.

"Yeah," I replied without looking at him. "I'm good."

Out of the corner of my eye I could see him nod his head. He was trying really hard to give me the time and space I needed. And I could appreciate the effort he was putting in. But I could also see he was struggling too. I wasn't sure if he deserved the luxury to feel like shit when it was my entire world that was falling apart. However, who was I to tell him how to feel. I know I would lose my mind if Xavier even suggested I was overreacting.

I smiled tightly as guests and family members said their goodbyes. I had no other choice to pretend I was okay. For Xavier's sake but also for mine. Making a scene, drawing the out would only make my time here in Italy more miserable than it already was. And considering that time is ewuivalent to the rest of my life I wasn't going to try my luck.

"Tory," Xavier's parents and sister stopped by our table. "Don't forget about your final fitting for the dress tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take up too much of our day so I went ahead and made some lunch reservations." Xavier's mother gave me a warm look as she took my hand into hers. Her thumb softly caressed the back of hand almost as if she was attempting to comfort me in a subtle maner.

"Ah yes I didn't forget," I reassured her. "That sounds wonderful Mrs. Albertelli. I can't wait." And I wasn't lying. Recently Xavier has been following me around like a lost puppy. Constantly asking me how I'm doing, if I need anything, or always initating physical touch. And again, I appreciated how hard Xavier was trying to get back to normal but...I'm suffocating and his mother was offerring me some fresh air. Even if it was only for a couple hours.

The Albertelli's said their goodbyes and headed into the house to get picked up out front. When the servants began to clean up I hopped out of my seat. Failing to wait for Xavier I practically ran to our room. Grabbing a few items, I ran into out bathroom and immediately started the shower. Showering was the only time I had away from Xavier's coddling nowadays. I even had to make sure to lock the door ot the man would wander into the bathroom to spark a conversation or jokingly suggest I should've asked him to join.

I sighed as the hot water ran down my back, onto my tense muscles that relaxed at the scorching heat. 30 minutes passed before I realized my hands resembled raisins. Wrapping a fluffy towel around my body I entered the bedroom to reveal a shirtless Xavier reclined in our bed. I mentally groaned at the image. I was hard headed and resilient in many ways. From the start of our relationship I had always had an attitude with the man. But when it came to his body. The way he touched me and the way he allowed me to touch him...I couldn't possible resist.

I looked away quickly before I started something I'd regret and grabbed the lotion off of the bedside table. With a scoop of lotion in my hands I began to rub in the moisturizer on my legs, silently trying to regain control over my rapid heartbeat.

"Tory," Xavier said in a tone that only meant one thing. His voice was low, raspy, and so incredibly sexy. It took every bit of self-control to not jump him right there. "I want to touch you."