Chapter One

A student was sprinting down the corridors of Sunnydale High School, at around midnight. Behind him was a floating knife, going just slow enough to not catch him. He weaved throughout the halls and eventually found an exit, running into the streets. He backed into an alleyway where he finally looked behind him and saw the knife was gone. He sighed in relief— only for a knife to pierce his chest.

— —

Sam was searching for cases with Miracle whilst Dean was making bacon in the kitchen.

"Uh— Dean?" he called from the dining room (living room? idk what to call it but if you know the bunker you know what I'm talking about).

"Yeah?" Dean responded as he walked in with a plate of bacon and a dressing gown on.

"Found us a case." Sam said, his brows furrowed slightly as he turned the laptop to face the other.

" 'Floating Knife Murders Student'." Dean read the article title out aloud. "Vengeful spirit?"

"That's what I was thinking." Sam agreed. "But look at where it's from."

"Sunnydale." Dean read. "So?"

"Sunnydale. Buffy? The Vampire Slayer? We used to watch it all the time, until Dad stopped us because it wasn't life accurate." Sam explained.

"Oh! I remember." Dean grinned goofily. "I always used to have a crush on Cordelia." Sam rolled his eyes. "What? You like Willow?"

"Why Willow— I mean, you're right. But why Willow?" Sam sighed.

"You're both nerds." Dean chuckled. Sam put his head in his hands and grinned slightly before shutting the laptop and standing up.

"Wanna go check it out?" Sam offered.

"Sure." Dean shrugged, grabbing a piece of bacon before rushing to his room to get dressed.

— —

"Look, all I'm saying is that this is definitely a ghost," Xander huffed as he finished his food at Lunchtime.

"That wasn't what it was like with James." Buffy reasoned.

"Well not all ghosts act the same." Xander countered.

"Look, Snyder says that the FBI are coming to investigate, if they don't find something then we will, okay?" Buffy suggested.

"Fine— but expect an 'I told you so' when I'm right." Xander said, standing up. Buffy turned to Willow and smiled slightly.

"You probably have a computer lesson to cover, right?" Buffy guessed.

"Yeah," Willow looked down guiltily.

"It's okay." Buffy laid a hand in her shoulder. "Giles wants me to do some training anyway. Wants me to prepare for Angel in case he ambushes us." She chuckled slightly.

"It'll be fine. We're all here." Willow smiled warmly as she got up and walked away happily.

— —

Dean was driving them to Sunnydale whilst Sam was sat next to him intently watching his computer for about 2 hours.

"You gonna tell me what has you so enthralled?" Dean spoke up eventually.

"Y-Yeah." Sam said. "I was watching the first few episodes of Buffy and— the vampires in the show are completely different to the vampires we deal with. What if we run into some? What do we do? And how are they that different in the first place?"

"What do they live on again? Hellmouth? Maybe that's it, y'know the Hellmouth changes their DNA or something." Dean suggested.

"Hmm. Maybe." Sam wondered as Dean kept driving.

— —

Buffy arrived in the library after school to find Giles sorting out a few of his books.

"Hey, Giles." she greeted. The librarian responded with a nod, concentrating on his books. "Good talk."

"My apologies, Buffy. These books have needed a sorting for a while now." he smiled slightly. "Are you ready to go out on patrol?"

"As I'll ever be." she grinned as she took a couple stakes and and grabbed a crossbow. "Where should we go first? Graveyard or Motel?"

"I think Motel— a change of scenery, if you will." Giles replied.

"If you say so." Buffy smiled, exiting the library with Giles tailing her.

They moved down the streets to the Motel, having a couple of vampires ambush them across the way, but they were dealt with quickly with a steak to the heart.

Eventually, they made it to the run-down motel and as two men exit an black car. She looked closer and saw a vampire exit from the bushes from behind them.

— —

Sam and Dean exited their Impala and started heading towards the Motel door, when Dean heard footsteps from behind him. Quickly, he spun around and ducked a punch, letting Sam launch a machete at the Vampire's neck, be heading it and killing it. Sam looked around and spotted Buffy and Giles in the bushes, gesturing for them to come over.

"You two okay? You just witnessed something possibly shocking." Sam inquired politely.

"There's no body." Buffy tried to act like she didn't know what just happened.

"Must've missed." Dean butted in. "He might've done a runner?" He shrugged at Sam.

"Most likely." Sam nodded at Dean. "Likely scenario."

"Y-Yeah." Buffy said suspiciously. "We're fine." She smiled nicely.

"That's good." Sam smiled. "Uh, do you, by any chance, go to Sunnydale High School?"

"Yeah," Buffy answered. "What about it?"

"Well, we're FBI. We wanna interview the students tomorrow. About the murder." Dean explained.

"Oh." Buffy responded. "W-We should go." She finished, walking away with Giles.

— —

"Do you think that was weird?" Buffy asked Giles as they walked away from the Motel.

"A bit. Actually, a lot. I haven't seen FBI agents carry machetes before, let alone have the instinct to behead someone when they try to attack." Giles wondered.

"If they're both interviewing us tomorrow, it'll be Hell." Buffy rolled her eyes angrily. "We should tell the others about them tomorrow. So they're ready for it."

"Yes. That'd be wise." Giles advised.

— —

"Dean, that was Buffy and Giles!" Sam exclaimed as they entered the building. "That confirms it then, this is Sunnydale in the nineties."

"How do you know we're in the nineties? Could just happen to exist now." Dean suggested, taking his blazer off and putting it around a chair.

"Dean, I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the car and that person we just encountered was definitely Sarah Michelle-Gellar." Sam explained as he sat on the sofa.

"I guess I see your point. Did see a couple phone boxes around the place." Dean joked, making Sam chuckle slightly.

"Dean." Sam said seriously. "This is big. This town isn't even supposed to exist, and now we are inside it investigating a murder."

"Look, Sammy." Dean sat next to his brother. "Maybe you're just overthinking this, maybe not. Either way, get some sleep. We'll come at it with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow."

Sam ran a hand through his hair before sighing. "You're right. I should get some sleep." He stood up and made his way to a bedroom. "See you in the morning, Dean."

Dean nodded and headed to the other room, before calling out his good nights and heading to bed