Ch. 5 - The dinner

"Reservation for Reeves, please?"

Warm tones of burgundy, orange, and gold fill the room as servers in all black rush from table to table. Classical music sets the tone. Everywhere they look are couples: leaning in, lost in each other's gaze, clinking wine glasses.

"Right this way, sir."

The hostess leads them down a spiral staircase to the wine cellar, where their private table awaits. Candles already lit, the server is filling water glasses as they enter.

"Is this to your expectations, Mr. Reeves?" The ginger-haired hostess inquires.

"Yes, thank you."

He pulls Sandra's chair out and she graciously accepts.

"Did you set this up?" she asks, motioning about the private room.

"I thought it'd be easier to talk in here."

"Nice touch! You must be a hit with the ladies," she cracks, "when's the 'how-to' book coming out?"

He smirks disapprovingly.

She quiets, wondering if she overstepped, but just as quickly he softens his expression as though whatever thought had plagued him has now escaped.

Turning his attention to the wine menu, he reminds her, "You mentioned chardonnay?"

An hour later...

Their postures are softer, tummies full, and knives and forks crossed and placed on their dinner plates. Their server clears the dishes and returns, holding another bottle of chardonnay on his arm for their approval.

Keanu glances at Sandra with a questioning look.

She shakes her head yes.

He nods to the server to carry on.

Pop! Out comes the cork, which is presented to him for inspection. He points at Sandra.

"Yep. That's a cork, alright," she replies, giving two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Keanu roars, seeing that neither of them are really fans of pretentious routine. "Definitely a cork."

They bring their wine glasses together.

"May we never run out of corks in our wine," he offers.

"Or, more importantly, may we never run out of wine!" she grins.

As they sip, they toss the usual interview questions at each other, getting to know the backstories.

"Have any siblings?" he asks.

"Yes, a sister," is her reply. "Big fan of yours, by the way, she might have you sign her bra, so be ready," she winks. "You?"

A pause, and then, "Yes."

"....And??" she gestures with her hand, asking for more information.

"I have a sister, Kim. We're very close. There are others out there, but I don't know them as well." He proceeds to explain there have been a few father figures in their lives growing up, not offering too much detail on any of them.

"And Kim is your full sibling then? Does your dad still live in Toronto?"

"No."

"Do you get to see him often?"

"No."

Sensing he isn't interested in providing more detail, she offers up more of her own. "I grew up splitting time between Germany and the US, lots of travel back and forth."