Ch. 8 - The song

"How are you?" Came the voice on the other end of the line.

It has been about a week since they'd last spoken, since they'd landed back at LAX, retrieved their luggage, and hopped into separate taxis taking them back to their separate lives. He never let on that he'd overheard her conversation with Nathan. They simply returned to their routines of before: before the audition, before their first read through, before their days spent opening up to each other in ways that went beyond the expectations even with a romantic lead. It had only been about a week but it felt longer and she'd almost gotten back to her version of normalcy.

"You set to moonlight as a bus driver now or what?"

She laughs. He remembered her test was today. He is the first to even ask about this certification. It's been surreal and she has met so many interesting people she may never have encountered otherwise. She now holds a Class B Commercial Driver's license, which she thinks is about the funniest thing that has happened to her in ages, but not everyone shares her sense of humor about the mundane parts of life.

"Passed on my first try! If this acting thing doesn't work out, you should look into it. Job security, you know," she teases. "How are you?"

"Keeping busy, getting ready." He tells her about the Return of the Living Dead targets they used at the range a few days ago. "So you should probably stay on my good side, in case the zombie apocalypse comes."

Within minutes they're chatting freely again as though they'd never left Colorado. They talked about what they most look forward to on the set: for him, working with Dennis Hopper and Jeff Daniels; for her, the Craft services table. She told him stories about learning to drive a bus, like the day she backed into another bus while trying to park it.

"They bounce off each other a lot more than I'd expected, so I think there's wiggle room for mistakes, really."

"Suuure,"Keanu replies, not trying to hide his sarcasm.

In the background, an advertisement comes on TCM.         

          "Stay tuned as we continue our Ingrid Bergman marathon special..."

"You watching some classics? I love Ingrid Bergman," Keanu shares, overhearing the commercial.

This launches them into their mutual affection for old, black and white films and, before either really knew what had happened, he is on his way over to continue the marathon with her. She rushes around her home, tidying up and humming to the tune of As Time Goes By, when she hears the rumble of his motorcycle in her drive. Taking a big breath, she opens the door to see him standing there, holding his helmet.

"Hi," she says, softly, hands clutching the open door as though it gave her strength to stand. Somehow, she notes, the stubble on his face made his eyes appear darker.

"Hi," he replies, all weight on one leg, eyes focused, chin tilted down towards her. He watches as a wisp of hair flies into her face with the subtle evening breeze.

There they stood for a minute, or was it thirty? The last refuge of crickets are still singing in the night sky, holding on before the weather turns in Los Angeles for the year.

A chill comes over her. She's still wearing the tank top she'd planned to go out in. Letting go of the door she rubs her arms up and down, trying to bring back the warmth, when she realizes she hasn't invited him in yet. "Oh, I'm sorry. Come in," she says, pulling the door open wide.

He walks in, the click-clack sound of his boots echoing in the mostly empty room. They look like sixth graders at their first dance, awkwardly leaning toward each other to hug their hellos. He kisses her cheek and gestures toward her legs, "Nice skirt."