Ch 6 - The ambush

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

The sound of the alarm shatters her dream as Sandra sits bolt upright. Checking the clock, she sees it's 6 a.m. A throbbing pain draws her attention to her hand, launching a flashback of the previous night's events: Dinner...drinks...the interview...glass breaking...him tending her wound....

She flings herself back against the sheets, hair falling into her face and first aid tape scratching against her forehead. Get up, Sandy. Time to put your big girl pants on and start the day.

Grabbing the white, terrycloth bathrobe from the closet, she whips the bathroom door open, only to find Keanu in his robe, about to start the shower.

"Hi," he says, sheepishly smiling at the sight of her bed head hair. "Do you want to go first?" He motions to their shared shower.

"Absolutely not!" She insists. "That's just ridiculous, you're literally—" she motions up and down with her hands, but is unable to force herself to say aloud that he's already undressed. "I can wait."

Before he has a chance to argue, she backs out of the room and shuts the door, leaning against it for a second, listening as the water is turned on. He's probably getting in right now. Walking away from the door, she throws her hands up in the air as if silently scolding herself.

Opening the heavy shades covering the windows of the chalet reveals the bright, mountain sun and— What on Earth?!? It can't be...snow? It's September!

She scrambles to find the remote for the small television hanging on the wall. "Weather channel, weather channel, weather channel," she repeats to herself, searching for a guide.

Click!

*"Live from Denver, this is CBS. Right now at six, a PinPoint Alert Weather Update with the earliest snow in decades. It hasn't been this cold, this early in the season in nearly fifty years! And it's not letting up yet..."

Well I'll be damned. She couldn't help but grin. She loves snow. One of the hardest parts about living in California is the lack of snow outside of the mountains. Her joy dampens upon the realization they did not pack for this weather. I guess that's on their "getting to know you" agenda then, finding something to wear after breakfast. It'll be a good distraction from last night. She hears a soft knock on her bedroom door.

"Sandra?"

Behind the door, he is standing there — rosy skin tone, hair still damp. He's already dressed in another pair of jeans, a dark t-shirt and blazer. 

"It's all yours."

Instinctively, she reaches up to assess her ratted hair, eyes bulging. "Thank you," she hastily closes the door and retreats into the bathroom where the air is still thick with steam, the mirror fogged up, and she could smell the scent of his soap again. Moving on... she thought to herself, undressing and going about her morning routine.

Freshly showered and with dewy skin, she steps out of her room to an aroma of eggs, toast and coffee. This guy is not human, she smiles, feeling better than she had yesterday. She heads down the stairs and into the kitchen to find it was Jan's sister-in-law at the stove, not Keanu who was busy pouring coffee into four mugs. She'd forgotten they weren't alone in the chalet. Please don't let them have heard anything last night, she silently prayed. 

"Did you see it snowed?!?" She blurts out, trying to move focus to anything else.

"Earliest snow since 1945," the sister-in-law replies. Her husband is already out brushing off the sidewalk.