Ch. 19 - The class

Ding-dong.

"Alright, he's here, Gesine. I'll see you later."

Sandra is wearing black capri running pants and a red tank top. On her head is a grey knit hat. She grabs a jacket, her purse and a bottle of water before she opens the door.

Keanu is waiting on her porch in all black. His smooth skin is interrupted by a hint of stubble on this day off of filming.

"Hey." His voice is inviting.

"What do you think? Am I ballroom-ready?" Sandra quips as she pulls her jacket out to the side like a gown and curtseys.

Hands on his hips, Keanu's smile is large and natural. "It's perfect." Another uncomfortable pause floats between them until he breaks it. "Your chariot awaits, m'lady," he bows, motioning with his hand in the direction of his black Porsche 911 Carrera.

Turning entirely toward his car, he offers his arm with elbow bent and not a second thought, so natural has this act become between them. She wraps her manicured hand around his arm and he pulls his elbow to his side, cradling her arm into his torso. He settles his hand against his stomach and guides her to the car. She reaches for the metal handle when she hears him say, "Ah-ah." Looking up, she sees him grin, hand cocked like a gun against his temple.

She chuckles at their inside joke and retracts her hand, allowing him to open her door. "Thank you," she says as she slides onto the tan leather seat and waits for him to walk around to the driver's side.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Paolo and Ingrid, the husband-wife owners of the dance studio,  greet them at the door. There are large, forward-facing, arched windows along the front wall. Dramatic drop chandeliers line the front of the studio, casting shadows into the entry. Floor-to-ceiling mirrors cover two additional walls. Mounted to the mirrors are a line of ballet barres at waist height.  The floors are deep-toned wooden planks covered in a protective "dance floor wax" meant to promote easy movement while not damaging shoes or clothing. As they enter the main dance area, a black grand piano juts out from one corner. The lighting is brighter over the dance floor so performers can pay attention to how their bodies move alongside their partners.

"Good evening, Keanu," Paolo greets him with a handshake. Turning towards Sandra, he bends down to kiss her hand. "Miss Bullock, iss so nice choo meet joo. We're excited choo have joo choonight."

Keanu hugs Ingrid and gives her a quick peck on each cheek. Sandra holds her hand out to Ingrid and introduces herself. Ingrid ignores the hand and instead grabs Sandra's shoulders to pull her in for a hug. "Oh. We're hugging. Okay," Sandra's tone is of surprise. Ingrid kisses both of her cheeks. Sandra's body noticeably tightens with her arms straight to her sides and her eyes widened. She looks straight at Keanu who has his hand over his mouth, trying to hide his amusement at her awkward reaction.

"Uh, nice to meet ya." Sandra points to them one-by-one. "Ingrid and Paul."

"Paolo," he corrects her.

"PauL-L." Sandra repeats.

"PAO-lo"

"P-PauL. That's what I said, didn't I?"

"Paol-o. POW-Lo. Paolo." Keanu tries to help.

"PAOLO!" Sandra repeats.

Paolo smiles. "Yes, Paolo. Come, let us show joo around." He places his hand around Sandra's waist and leads her further into the studio. Keanu and Ingrid follow, with Ingrid's arm laced through Keanu's.

"Good. Ingrid? Joo want choo take dem drough some stretching and warm-up while I start dee music?"

"Yah, sure. Go over zere to zee barre." Keanu moves behind Sandra and helps her jacket slide off her bare shoulders, a vanilla bean fragrance piercing his nose. He hands her jacket to Ingrid who sets it down. They glance at each other and then follow her to the mirrored wall.