24 | distraction

Today, there's no schedule for the field trip -- we are allowed to go sightseeing

Today, there's no schedule for the field trip -- we are allowed to go sightseeing. Nevaeh has this idea to go visit the Eiffel Tower.

After we have lunch in a restaurant with a splendid view of the entire city, we step into the park near the Eiffel Tower.

Nevaeh's laughter echoes in my ear as she whirls around, recording a video for her Instagram story. She looks so happy, and a sigh leaves my lips.

My mind was debating whether I should spend today with her and Max, because I didn't want to be the third wheel.

She's here to spend a vacation with Max -- they might haven't seen each other for a long time because of the long-distance -- and I don't want to be a fly on their wall.

"Watch where you're going, Nevaeh. You don't want to bump into people while doing the silly video," Max mutters, shoving his hands into his pants pockets as he walks past me, approaching her.

Even though he might be a little harsh sometimes, but I can see how much he cares about her.

Nevaeh laughs after she finishes taking her video, and excitement fills her voice as she asks Max what he thinks about it. Max doesn't say anything as he stares at her phone, but he nods in approval.

Now that my eyes dart on the two of them standing close together, I realize that I haven't seen anything more beautiful.

Nevaeh is beautiful and sweet. Joyful. Lively. Max might seem a little bit intimidating for anyone who meets him for the first time, but he has such a good heart. Besides, he's hot and everything a girl desires.

They are perfect for each other.

I swallow another lump in my throat. Now that this feeling keeps torturing me, I realize how foolish I am for looking at Max in the way that a friend shouldn't do. And for having this kind of feeling that a friend shouldn't have.

He has done so much for me, and I've crossed the line, thinking that there's something between us.

Come on, Luna. How could you be so greedy? How could you be so stupid?

When I approach them, Max picks up a call. "Mom," he says, walking off to a less noisy area. "Nevaeh? Don't worry about her. She's with me."

My heart sinks a bit. Even his Mom cares so much about Nevaeh. That's good for her, because Max's family is one of the loveliest people.

I shouldn't feel like this.

I shouldn't be sad when everyone is happy.

While Max is speaking with his Mom, I can only stare at his back, watching as he walks away. It's when Nevaeh calls me that I'm snapped back into reality.

"Luna?" Her brows furrow as she stares at me with concern. "What's the matter? Are you okay?" she asks. "You look pale."

I abruptly shake my head. "No, I'm okay. I just remembered something important," I stumble upon my words, blurting out anything I can find in my head. "But it's no big deal. It's nothing urgent."