36 | dead soul

It's Friday night, and I don't feel like going to a party

It's Friday night, and I don't feel like going to a party. But Landon, my football teammate, has a birthday celebration. He's throwing a party at his house.

I don't feel like doing anything. I don't even feel like living. My heart has died after Luna broke things off with me. We're not even a thing, but it hurts like hell.

I arrive in front of Landon's house and ring the bell. I've already told myself that I don't feel like partying, so what the fuck am I doing here?

It's better than letting myself experience a slow and painful death every time I think about Luna. Her expression when she told me to stay away from her still haunts me all the time -- I need to get my mind off her.

Landon opens the door, and we give each other a quick man hug. "Thanks for coming, man." He grins. "The others are already inside."

I nod, and he gives me a look of sympathy, patting my shoulder.

Right. The whole school thinks that I'm the poor guy who was ditched by Luna Klein. In their eyes, I'm the victim, and she's the villain.

Fuck with that. They don't even know Luna.

No one in this fucking school puts an effort to know her better.

When I stride into the house, the party has started. The lights are dimmed, and deep thumping music echoes in my ears. I watch as people dance, drink, and chat with each other -- on the dance floor, on the couch, near the stairs, everywhere.

None of us has reached our legal age to drink, but that's the point of this party.

That's actually the reason why I'm here. I feel like alcohol is the only solution to ease my pain now, and that's fucked up. Mom and Dad would be pissed if they could read my mind.

This three-story house is huge -- it's one of the properties owned by Landon's father, who is a successful businessman. I pass the living room, where most of the people are dancing, and step into another area that looks like a game room, in which most of my football teammates are chilling.

This room is spacious, equipped with a billiard table. Bottles of beers sit at the counter and coffee table.

Ryan, our wide receiver, grabs one bottle and hands it to me. "Been waiting for you, Max."

I smirk, take the beer from him, and flop myself on the couch. The cold substance feels good in my throat, and I lean back on the couch, sighing.

"Did you watch the game last night?" Justin, our defensive tackle, asks me. He sits beside me and starts blabbering about the football game that aired yesterday, but I can't focus on anything he says.

My mind is filled with Luna. I check my phone once in a while, hoping to find her returning my call or replying to my texts, but there's none.

Her words still ring in my ears.