16

Friday night, after dinner, there was a lot more excitement than usual due to the capture the flag game. Once the plates were finally cleared, the conch horn sounded, signaling everyone to stand at their tables.

The campers yelled and cheered as three of the Athena kids ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. Maggie squinted in an attempt to make out who the three kids were. She knew the girl in front was Annabeth because she was cabin counselor, but she couldn't tell who the others were. It wasn't until they made their way closer to the Hermes cabin that she could make out Malcolm and another girl she had never met before. Magnolia assumed that she was a newer camper that had arrived sometime throughout the school year.

She tore her eyes away from the beautifully decorated flag to see the Ares cabin run in, led by Clarisse and two of her own siblings.

She regretted leaving her glasses at the cabin, but she knew that if they broke during the game, she would have to go with Will to get a new pair, and the small child of Apollo would lecture her on the importance of taking good care of her things. (It wasn't her fault her other pair had been destroyed when the minotaur attacked.)

Percy turned to Maggie, "Those are the flags?" he tried yelling over the noise.

"Yeah."

"Do Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"

"Not always," Luke cut in. "But often."

"It's because they are disgustingly competitive and Clarisse and Annabeth hate each other." Maggie explained. Luke gave her a disappointed look.

"I'm not wrong."

"So if another cabin wins," Percy asked, "what do you do? Repaint the flags?"

Luke grinned. "You'll see. First we have to get one."

"Whose side are we on?"

"Well, we have made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we get the flag from Ares. And you're going to help."

"Why did you emphasize we?"

"You see, Maggie is working with Ares." He gave her a look.

"I made a deal! Half of the time, I'll play on your side, half of the time I play with Clarisse. Unless of course, you guys are fighting for the same side."

He only laughed before explaining the teams to Percy.

The Athena cabin had made an alliance with Apollo and Hermes, the two largest cabins. Magnolia knew that there had been some bribing in order to get everyone in the cabins on board. The Ares cabin, along with Magnolia, had allied themselves with everybody else.

It wasn't actually that unfair if you thought about it. The Athena cabin knew the best strategies, and the Hermes cabin was quick and stealthy. Most of them, anyway. The Apollo cabin was also really good. They usually hid in the trees, raining down arrows on those who were unlucky enough to get close. Maggie always made sure to stay far away from Lee, and Will. Will was small, and not the most vicious person there was, but he always managed to nail Maggie with something every time they happened to be on opposite teams. Every time.

Although the Ares cabin had won the support of the majority of the cabins, they had smaller numbers. Except for a select few, among which was one of Magnolia's favorite people, the Aphrodite kid steered clear of the fight. There were only four Hesphustus kids, and two from Dionysus. Maggie knew that her group's advantage might come from herself and the Demeter kids. They all excelled when it came to the woods.

Chiron slammed his hoof on the marble floor.

"Heroes!" he announced. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line, and the entire forest is game. All magic items are allowed. Banners must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but not bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as battlefield medic. Arm Yourselves!"

He spread his hands and the tables were filled with the necessary equipment. There were swords, spears, helmets, and other tools.

Percy looked at the tables with wide eyes. "We're really supposed to use these?"

"Unless you want to become a human shish-ka-bob." Maggie replied.

"Here," Luke said. "Chiron said these would probably fit. You'll be on border patrol."

"What! Do you want him to get killed?"

"Hush you." Luke turned to Maggie. "Don't worry your pretty little head about it. Now scram before any sensitive information is revealed."

The green haired girl let out a few curses directed at Luke as she walked toward her own team.

She really hoped the others knew what they were doing.