23

Grover sat in happiness for the first few minutes of the ride, thanks to Percy, before tension got to him. At least, until Magnolia decided that she wanted his opinion on stuffed animals. That wasn't enough to completely tune out the other two's conversation. He caught something about rivals, fountains, olives, and pizza. It was enough to connect the dots on what they were talking about.

Traffic slowed the group down in Queens, and by the time they reached Manhattan, the sun was setting and it had started to rain.

Argus dropped them off the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side. Percy and Magnolia both commented on how they did not live too far away. When he turned his head to check on Percy, who had fallen behind the group, the curly haired satyr caught the boy ripping up a piece of paper, which was a little odd.  

Argus helped them unload their bags, and made sure that they each had their bus ticket before finally driving away and back to camp.

Grover turned back to look at Percy, who was staring angrily down the street. Percy's emotions were blatantly obvious to the satyr. He felt awful about what had happened to the poor boy's mother. He knew why he had said yes to the quest, and he could only hope that he wouldn't be disappointed.

"You want to know why she married him?" he asked Percy.

"Were you reading my mind or something?"

"Just your emotions." Grover shrugged. "Guess I forgot to tell you satyrs can do that. You were thinking about your mom and your stepdad, right?"

He nodded.

"Your mom married Gabe for you. You call him 'Smelly,"but you have no idea. The guy has this aura... Yuck. I can smell him from here. And, I can smell traces of him on you, and you haven't been near him for a week.."

"Thanks," Percy said. "Where's the nearest shower?"

Grover let out a small sigh. "You should be thankful, Percy. Your stepfather smells so repulsively human, he could mask the presence of any demigod. As soon as I took a whiff inside his Camaro, I knew. He's been covering your scent for years. If you hadn't lived with him every summer, you would've been found by monsters a long time ago. Your mom stayed with him to protect you. She was a smart lady. She must've loved you a lot to put up with that guy... if that makes you feel any better."