33

Grover looked between the two girls standing next to him, hoping the tension would dissolve fairly quickly. He obviously knew that they never really got along, and Grover had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with Annabeth's obvious crush on Luke and Maggie accidentally blurting it out in front of Grover some time back. Though after spending months with only Percy and Maggie at Yancy, he had forgotten how uncomfortable the situation made him feel.

He was grateful that the process leading t getting the guy to shut his music off was entertaining, however. Because in another world it could have gone horribly. The lighthearted feeling left quickly when they turned the corner and saw Percy's face.

"What happened, Perce?" Maggie spoke up. "What'd Luke say?"

"Not much," he lied. "Come on, let's find some dinner."

A few minutes later they found themselves in a booth in the corner of a gleaming chrome diner. The place was full of families eating burgers and drinking malts and sodas.

"I get that it's food, but why did we have to go to two places with burgers twice in a row?" Maggie complained. Grover couldn't help but agree. He would skill for a good plate of enchiladas just about now.

Finally, the waitress made her way over to their table. She raised her eyes skeptically, but Grover couldn't tell if it was because they looked like homeless weirdos or if that was just the way she asked for everyone's orders. "Well?"

Percy decided to speak up. "We, um... We want to order dinner."

"You kids have money to pay for it?" it was definitely the homeless weirdos vibe they were giving off.

Percy looked ready to blurt out another unbelievable sib story when a rumble shook the entire building; a motorcycle the size of a baby elephant pulled up to the curb.

All of the conversation in the diner stopped as the motorcycle's headlights glared a deep red. As Ares made his way into the diner, a hot dry wind followed close behind. The people rose as if they had been hypnotized, but the simple wave of his hand caused them all to sit back down again. All of a sudden, the noise seemed to explode back into existence and the waitress blinked like someone had pressed the rewind button on her brain. "You kids have money to pay for it?" She asked again.

"That wasn't creepy at all," Maggie murmured.

Ares turned toward the waitress. "It's on me," he said as he slid into the booth, which was not made for god-sized bodies, smashing Annabeth and Grover into the window.

He looked up at the waitress, who was gaping at him, and said, "Are you still here?"

Ares's wicked grin turned toward Percy, and suddenly Grover wanted to crawl under the table, terrified of what his temperamental, ADHD friend might blurt out in response. He was doubtful Maggie would do much to completely stop him; she was just as impulsive.

"So you're old Seaweed's kid, huh?" Ares asked.

Percy looked like he wanted to rip Ares's head off and Grover was preparing himself to dig Percy's grave. "What's it to you." the green-eyed boy bit back.

"Percy-" Annabeth tried to warn.

"S'okay" Ares said. "I don't mind a little attitude. Long as you remember who's the boss. You know who I am, little cousin?"

"You're Clarisse's dad." Percy said. "Ares, god of war."

Ares grinned as he took of his shades. Grover tried his best to look away from the empty sockets glowing with miniature nuclear explosion. He wished he would put the glasses back on. Grover wasn't normally an angry person, but looking into ares eyes could make anyone temperamental.