43

Eva was tired. Tired of her mother moving around mechanically like a mannequin endowed with the mechanical energy.

Tired of her friends pretending not to be happy in their personal lives just so she wouldn't feel bad about herself.

Her mother had never been talkative around the table, but at least there'd been something before. Now all she ever did was eat half her food and get up with the excuse that she was full.

Her change in attitude had begun to show at work, and so now Eva handled most of the things she'd always so loved to do by herself.

The sadness in her eyes was always such a mood killer.

As for Adam, he'd moved to live with his father for the time the man had left, and they barely spoke. Eva missed him so much that sometimes she felt bad for being so selfish.

Adam was going through a lot, and she had to be the supportive girlfriend.

She didn't support the choices her mother had made in her youth, but every day Eva saw the guilt in her eyes, watched the regret eating her whole.

She just hoped that Adam would find it in himself to forgive when his emotions returned to normal, if that was ever going to happen.

Right now, Eva didn't think she could stomach any more tragedy.

Forcing herself out of her thoughts, she looked at her computer screen at a file she'd been typing and sighed. She'd made a mess of a whole page. Typing and distractions obviously didn't go hand in hand.

The ringing of her phone made her jump all of a sudden. Looking at the caller ID, she answered when she saw that it was June calling.

“Girl, I'm so sorry. Raul just told me what happened. I can't even imagine what Adam is going through. God, I should've really taken his number.”

The last time her friend had started a call this way, only bad news had arrived. Eva felt her stomach clench with dread at what was imminent now.

“June, what is going on?”

June paused. “Adam didn't call you to tell you this too? Okay, I guess that's to be expected considering it was Guille who called all his friends to tell them about it. God he really must be going through so much right now.”

“June, can you please just tell me and stop beating around the fucking bush?” Eva demanded, irritated and scared.

“Adam lost his father this morning.”

Oh fuck. Talk about not being able to stomach another tragedy.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Eva entered the hall where the funeral was being held. Adam hadn't picked up her calls, and so she'd called Raul for directions. She couldn't hold anything against Adam though; she knew he was going through something tough.

She remebered when her dad had died when she was only six. Eva had been broken, wanting to go with him. It was Rebecca's love that'd nursed her back to sanity. She could only imagine what the experience was for Adam.

She looked at the white coffin placed on a platform and sighed. She hoped that the man's soul would rest in peace.

Scanning the hall, she noticed a crowd gathered around the main man she was after, seemingly offering their condolences. Adam only nodded now and then with no emotion on his face at all. He looked like he hadn't had a shower.