Chapter two

"Excited for school to start soon?" Kendall stops unloading the boxes and asks.

I cross my arms in front of me, "Do I look excited?" He laughs, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"I've heard great things from people around here. You're going to make friends and have fun. One day you'll thank me" He picks up a box, walking with it into the apartment.

Looking around I take in everything around me. We've never lived in the nicest places but it gets us by. I pick up a box and follow him inside.

"This is your bedroom" He points to the room down the hall. The room is plain with white walls and just a single double mattress on the floor.

"I guess it's better than what we had before, right?" I scoff.

"Anythings better than what we had before. Now go get ready, we have to go and start looking for jobs for you and Elijah" Kendalls walks back outside grabbing more boxes.

Normally I'm not like this. I let things like this get to me though. Change. The one thing I'm not good at. I like things done a certain way and I don't like people changing or interrupting them. Which is exactly what my brother did. Making us move to a new town with all new people. He says it was for a new job opportunity but I'm not dumb. I know the real reason.

"TRIS! YOUR PHONE IS BLOWING UP OUT HERE!" Elijah yells from outside. I know who it is and I don't want to check it. "Look your boyfriends texting you" he runs into my room, throwing the phone at me.

"Watch it! I don't have any money to fix it and he's not my boyfriend. " I scoff, picking the phone off the floor.

"Yeah...whatever. Because you mope around every day over just some "friend"." He laughs and heads out. I check my phone scrolling through all the missed calls and messages. It starts to vibrate and Hawk's name pops up on my screen. I groan and answer it.

"What do you want!" I snap.

"You haven't been answering any of my texts. I just want to talk and figure this out..... Figure us out." After what happened between us that night, I never wanted to talk to him again. He thinks I'm some sort of game and I'm not.

"There's no us! You have a girlfriend. Now leave me alone Hawk" I end the call and turn off my phone.

I stomp back out to our car and continue to help Kendall with the boxes.

We wouldn't be a good couple. I get attached too easily and he cheats. We'd ruin each other.

Kendall comes back outside. "Ready to go?" he asks.

Elijah and I nod and hop into the car.

The second thing I hate in this world is working fast food. The hours suck, low pay, and treated like shit. But to actually live, I need a job.

"Here. This strip mall has a couple of shops and restaurants I'm sure you can apply to." Kendall pauses and looks at me next to him. "Be nice. We really need you to get this job, Trystan."

I roll my eyes, "I know."

The first thing I hate in this world is my father. For being so absent that he left his kids to survive on their own. After mom died, we had no one.

I hop out of the car looking around and my eyes land on one thing. Cobra Kai. I had no idea this is where the dojo was. Focus Trystan, we're here to find a job. I ignore it and walk into the store next to it.

"Yo, you guys hiring?" I ask the guy sitting at the counter.

"Yea, you want a job?" he says.

I walk up to the counter and stand in front of him.

"Yes. How much do you guys pay?"

"I own this piece of shit so it's only you and me. I'll pay you $10 an hour. And you can work whenever you need to. You can work a register?"

"Yea, I've got some experience but I'm sure I can figure it out" At my other jobs, I've hated working at the drive-through so I always worked on the register. It was easier so I didn't have to deal with customer's complaints and orders.

"Great. The job is yours. Give me your number and text me when your availability is" he hands me a piece of paper and pen.

I write my number down and hand the paper back, "Thanks, here you go". He nods and I walk out of the store. Kendall is leaning on the car, looking my way.

"Get a job?" He asks.

"Yup. I just have to let him know my availability" I tell him, walking over to the car.

"That's my sister. Proud of you." he smiles. "Want to check out this dojo? Looks like there's no class right now so I'm sure it's the best time to talk to the sensei"

I frown. "I think I'll wait a little while until I go to a different dojo. It doesn't feel right not being at Topanga."

He wraps his arm around the back of my shoulders. "I get it but you have to move on. Elijah is still in an interview so we have time. Come on, I'll come in with you" he grabs my hand and pulls me along to the front door.

The doorbell rings as he pushes open the front doors. We both walk-in and stand there, looking around. No mercy is written all over the walls along with mirrors and a huge mat on the floor.

"Can I do something for you both?" a tall old man walks out of one of the rooms.

"My sister is interested in your dojo," Kendall tells the old man. Another blonde man walks in behind the old man. Sensei Lawerence.

"Trystan Grey. I thought I'd see you sometime this week. Miguel mentioned you moving over here" Lawerence says.

I bow to him and take my shoes off, walking onto the mat.

"Yea, I moved in today," I say to him. Kendall looks at me confused along with the old man.

"Sensei Lawrence and I met at the All Valley Tournament. I fought a lot of his students. Only one beat me.....barely." I tell them.

Lawerence crosses his arms in front of him. "Hawk. One of my best students"

"You interested in joining Cobra Kai?" The old man butts in.

"This is Sensei Kreese," Lawerence tells me.

I stand in front of both of them, Kendall staying at the door.

"Maybe. Not sure you guys are worth my talent. This dojo seems very, what's the word? Toxic." I cross my arms.

"What the hell does toxic mean?" Lawerence snaps.

"I can assure you this dojo is not toxic. We only want what's best for our students. We teach to win" Kreese assures me. "Come to our class tomorrow and see what we're about. You seem to already know most of the students. I'm sure you'll like it".

I nod. "Ok, I will. I'll see the both of you then" They both nod and I turn around, walking to Kendall. We walk out the doors back to the car.

"What the hell was that. You treated them like enemies that you don't want to fight for!" Kendall snaps.

"So they can see I'm no joke. The one sensei already knows me. It's not a big deal" I open the car door and climb in.

"Not a big deal? You're new, Tris. So they're going to treat you like it and if you're a bitch to them then they aren't going to like you" he snaps.

"Kendall did you not look around that place. That's obviously what they're about, no mercy and all that shit. I'm not afraid of them or their students. It's ok"

"Fine, whatever you say." he pauses. "Elijah must still be in his interview so we have to wait."

Cobra Kai doesn't scare me at all. I know I can beat all of their students. Especially, Hawk. He got lucky when he won the last point. I've gotten better since then and I know id win in a fight. And I know I can beat Miguel. He may be the all valley champ but he fought Robby Keene. That kid didn't know any offense.