Chapter four

For the last hour, my phone has been blowing up with texts from Miguel and Hawk. Asking where I went and if I'm ok. Like they actually care. Miguel probably knew how the talk was going to go but he still pushed for it. How could I be so stupid and let my guard down?

Someone knocks on my door. "Trystan? You ok?" Kendall asks. I ignore him. He turns the knob and walks in anyway.

"Get out" I demand. "I don't want to talk about it."

He leans against the doorway and crosses his arms. "I figured but your my sister and I need to know if I need to beat some boys up" I laugh.

"No, I can do that on my own. But seriously, I brought this onto myself. I knew he had a girlfriend so I don't know why I expected it to go differently. If I was in her shoes I'd want my boyfriend to do the same."

"It was still a dick move." He claims. "But hey, I have a surprise for you"

I sigh, "You know I hate surprises" This day just can't get any worse. There's a reason I hate them but we refuse to talk about it at home. He shrugs and turns around, signaling for something to come his way. I hear footsteps make their way to my room and a dirty blonde-headed girl stands in the doorway.

"Holy shit! Tory, what are you doing here?" I rush up and hug her tightly.

She smiles brightly, "I got here earlier than expected but you weren't answering your phone to see that" I pull away and stand in front of her.

"Sorry, it's been a day. I turned my phone off. I'm so happy to see you" we both laugh. Kendall smiles and walks away.

"Want to go for a walk?" she asks. I nod, walking away to put my shoes on. I grab my phone and walk out to the living room.

"We'll be back, we're just going for a walk," I tell Kendall. He nods and we head out.

After a while of walking a couple of streets, we find a playground and sit down.  She pulls a pack of cigarettes out of her pocket, handing me one. I put mine in my mouth and she lights it and then her own.

"So, you going to tell me what's going on or what?" she asks, blowing smoke out of her mouth. I've never been great at explaining how I feel because I think my feelings are invalid, that someone always has it worse than me.

I let out a long breath, "I don't know why it's getting to me so badly. I haven't let something get to me like this since" I stop.

"Your dad" she answers for me. I nod.

"I guess I just really felt a connection with him and the way he kept pushing for me to talk to him made me think he was going to choose me. But I was wrong" I put the cigarette back up to my mouth. She turns her head towards me, smiling. "What?" I ask her.

She laughs, slightly. "I've just never heard you talk about someone like that. I mean like you said, you've never let anything get to you ever since everything happened with your dad. But everything happens for a reason, Tris. Don't let this one stupid boy change everything. He literally has a fucking mohawk." We both laugh.  I lean my head down on her shoulder.

"I know I only saw you last week but I really missed you," I tell her. She leans her head on mine.

"I missed you too." We stay like that for a few minutes, no words, nothing. Whenever something happens we always have each other, no matter what. No words can describe how much I love this girl, I'd probably be dead without her.

"How's your mom?" I ask her. She looks down at her feet, her mood changing instantly.

She scoffs, "Not good. Who knows if I'll be able to go back to school. I may have to stay home and take care of her." she takes a deep breath. "I mean I'm not complaining, I love her but this isn't how I imagined living my life, you know."

"You know if you ever need help taking care of her to call me, right? I'm always here" I assure her.

"I know," she says.

"And no word from your dad?" I ask. She shakes her head no.

I put my cigarette out in front of her, "Here's to having dead beat dads." She laughs.

Hitting mine with hers, "To having dead beat dads."

We're the two best friends struggling to get through life but doing it together. She was there when I needed her during everything with my father and I'm always there for her now with her mom.

As we're walking back to my apartment, we pass all the nice houses and cars. Neither of us says anything. We both know that although we don't have the most perfect lives, we're grateful for what we do have.

I arrive back at my apartment and she goes back to hers. I offered for her to stay over but she needs to go home and put her brother to bed. Walking inside I see both of my brothers sitting on the couch watching tv.

"Where's Tory?" Elijah asks me.

I walk into the kitchen and fill up a glass of water. "She needed to go home. She'll probably come over tomorrow." I walk over to them and hug them both. "I'm going to bed, goodnight".

"Goodnight" They both say. I walk away, into my bedroom and change. Throwing on a pair of gray shorts and a black sports bra, I jump into bed and lay down. My phone vibrates next to me and it's a call from Miguel. I choose to ignore it and go to sleep.

_______________

a/n- Ik there wasn't anything of Hawk in this chapter but there will be next chapter. It's starting off kinda slow bc I want everyone to know Trystan and her backstory. Enjoy:))