Chapter three

"Shut up, Elijah. My job is better than yours. At least I don't need to be taking people's orders and serving them" I snap at him.

he laughs, "Bro you're literally serving people food from behind a counter and checking them out. I get to work in a nice restaurant while you're in a cheap little shop"

"Whatever it pays more than you. I'm getting $10 an hour while you're only getting $7.45 and I don't need to even do anything" I scoff.

He gets up, snatching the remote to the TV out of my hand. "Hey!" I yell at him.

"If you're going to be a bitch, I get to chose what to watch."

I roll my eyes at him and get up, walking to my bedroom. I don't have many things to set up in there. Anything I wanted or had was either too expensive or stolen from my father.

As I'm making my bed, my phone vibrates on the floor. I pick it up and Hawk's name is on the screen.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," I tell him.

"You did. But I'm not that good at listening. Can we just talk or you listen and I talk," Hawk says.

"I would but I'm not that good at listening. Goodbye," I end the call.

He's the last person I want to talk to right now. I scroll through my contacts and FaceTime one of my best friends.

"Hey. What's up?" they say.

"Miguel! I feel like we haven't talked in forever." I tell him.

he laughs, "it's because we haven't. You've been too busy moving and I've been too busy trying to win Sam back" he frowns.

"Look I know you don't want the honest truth but I'm going to give it to you anyway. If she really cared, she'd be crawling back to you right now. And she didn't even say congrats to you for winning the All Valley. Time to move on my friend"

"Not just yet. I just haven't met someone that catches my eye, you know. There's something about her and I don't know what it is. But you on the other hand has someone that catches your eye". he smirks.

"Yeah right. I'm too big of a bitch for anyone to actually like me." I scoff.

I tend to push people that care about me away. I don't know what it is or why I do it.

"And you're blind too. Hawk obviously likes you, Tris. Just give him a chance, man. He won't stop nagging me to get you to answer him." Miguel complains.

I roll my eyes. "He has a girlfriend. I'm not a side piece and won't play his game."

"You ever going to tell me what happened that night of the tournament?" he asks.

I sigh. "Maybe, maybe not." I pause. "I don't like to talk about it. I mean, I thought I really had a connection with him but he turned out to be like every other guy. Tell him to focus on his girlfriend and leave me alone."

He laughs, "You know you can't escape him now. You live in the same town as him, go to the same school as him, and maybe even the same dojo."

I ignore what he said. Maybe he's right. But that doesn't mean I can't ignore Hawk.

"Look Trystan, Hawk isn't the easiest person. He has a rough past. You just need to give him a chance. And for the girlfriend. They won't last, she's only doing it for popularity." he admits.

Elijah bursts into my bedroom, "Are we going to get dinner or not?" he asks.

Ignoring what he said, I go back to Miguel. "Look, I gotta go but I'll think about what you said" I hang up the phone and go back to Elijah.