The Black Knight

A young knight, green in terms of combat, was riding peacefully towards Tintagel; in the hopes of serving King Culhwch's court.
As the knight was riding through the peaceful forest, the birds were singing his song and the wind was carrying him along.
The knight now reached a bridge; where a fellow knight, dressed in all black, stood guard.
" Pass; if you dear " proclaimed the black knight from his frightening steed.
The young knight was young; which meant that he had the spirit of youth and the ignorance of consequences that came with that youth.
The young knight now put on his helmet, he readied his lance and he now commanded his steed to ride with full speed.
The black knight did the same, and as stated before; the young knight was green, and sadly; he was no prodigy.
The black knight dismounted the young knight, easily.
The young knight now felt the pain of his ambition, as he laid on the ground; with his face covered in dirt and earth.
The young knight looked on, as the black knight calmly rode back to guard the bridge.
The black knight looked on, as the young knight forced himself back on his steed.
" Do you wish to die, boy? " said the black knight.
From atop his steed, while every fiber of his being hurt, the young knight glared back at the black knight and then said;
" I will dismount you, old man "
The faint hint of a giggle could be heard coming from the black knight.
The young knight could not put his helmet back on; for it was broken. So, with what remained of his lance, the young knight readied himself.
The black knight too, was ready.
They both charged.
The black knight immediately stopped, as the young knight fell off his steed; with a large boom.
The young knight slowly opened his eyes, the first thing he saw; was a campfire and the black knight with his helmet off.
" You fought well, " said the black knight with a smile.
" But... I lost " uttered the young knight.
" What? You expected to win every single battle you fought? - the black knight paused for a moment - listen my boy, living is winning. There is no greater prize than your life "
The young knight smiled.
" Why were you standing guard at the bridge? " the young knight asked.
" Ah " said the black knight, joyfully; " I test every knight who wishes to serve King Culhwch. To be honest; you are one of the few who did not quit after the first blow of my lance "
The young knight now felt a sense of satisfaction.
" What is your name? "
The black knight paused for a moment, he then said;
" I am Sir Brack "
As fast as lightning, the young knight was on his feet; bowing.
" The King's cousin " the young knight said with the utmost respect.
Sir Brack stood up, and made the young knight stop bowing.
" You should not bow to me. From this day onward; we are both equals "
" What do you mean? " said the young knight, confused.
With a smile, Sir Brack said;
" I shall take you to the King "
The young knight was speechless.
The black knight and the young knight could both now be seen riding together towards Tintagel.