Chapter 11: The First Match

Luz's Pov:

"Good evening, Hexide Friends."
A sly grin smeared across the tall witches face.
"Hello, Flint." Emira Smiled, I'm not able to tell if that was a fake smile, or a genuine one.
"Due to our school being closed down, we will have to practice here. In our personal Gymnasium. I hope that's alright."

Flint shrugged,
"I suppose This dump will have to do-"
A witch nudged him in the arm hard. Flint whined and rubbed his arm, obviously dis-pleased by this surprise.
"Ow, Carson what the heck??"

"I apologise for his behaviour," Carson walked up. He looked back at Flint and rolled his eyes. "He can get too carried away sometimes."
Carson was shorter than Flint, He had pale grey skin and scars slashed all up his arm. Looked like he had A violent animal at home.
A girl, same height as me, walked up to me. And starting circling around me.
"Uhm- Hi-?"
No one else noticed us, due to the fact of the chit chat they were making.
"Why do you have such, round ears.?"
Ah right-
"Im a human! Luz is the name, nice to meet you." I smile, hoping to make a new friend. She seemed nice, very pretty as well.
The witch hummed,
"Luz. Hello Luz, I'm Raya." She smiled back.
"So what position do you play?" I asked, trying to rumble up a conversation, so it wouldn't get awkward quickly.
"I play as a Middle blocker. What about you?"
"Oh, well I play as a Wing spiker."

We talked about our hobbies and other interests for a while, before both of our teams called us in.
"First rotation, Luz, you will sit out." Amity looked at me.
I frowned then kind of chuckled, "What? Why?"
Amity looked back at Glandus,

"You will be able to watch and see what these players can do. If you jump right into the game, you won't know what to expect."

"OH.. I suppose that makes sense. Got it." I pointed finger guns.
She gave a nod. "Emira, Boscha, Willow. You will be up court, and Skara, Edric and I will be down the back."

Willow scratched her neck, "Im not complaining, but I'm usually not up front."
"I'm only placing you there because of their rotation, it's fits you. You're going to be head on with Raya."
Willow nods.

"Alright, go team!" She, and the others went in their positions, and I sat on the bench.
Glandus high started with the ball. A player, I think their name was Arleve, they looked similar to Raya actually. Siblings?

Arleve stuck with a floater serve, hitting it just across the net. The thing is, with floater serves, you can't really tell where the ball is going to go, And I think Arleve understood that. The ball hit the top of the net and tumbled over to our side. Willow leaped forward hitting the ball back in the air,

"Mine!" Boscha exclaimed, sprinting towards the ball. She bent her arms as the ball landed in her hands, Amity ran up to the net, with Raya close in front of her, preparing to block. A dark grey haired witch accompanied her, her eyes were a gold. Kind of like Amitys. Boscha set it to Amity, knowing she'd be able to take on two blockers.
Amity jumped, and so Did Raya and The other witch. Amity smashed the ball with her palm, making a loud smack sound. It just hit the tip of the blockers fingers,

"Tip!" The grey haired witch exclaimed, looking back. Carson just saved the ball from going out, he bumped it back over to Arleve. Arleve set the ball,
"Ian!"

The grey haired witch, Ian, Jumped. The height of the jump was mighty, nearly over the net. How is that even possible? He struggled for a line shot, smashing the ball out of the court. The noise echoed throughout the gymnasium, as the ball hit out of the court. It seemed like an intense rally, short but everyone seemed focused.

The next match started, with Arleve serving once again. The game would only be first to 10 points, due to more practice being needed on both teams. Arleve, once again did a floater serve. The ball went over the net, with Gus receiving the ball. The ball barely made it over to Boscha, so she set the ball over to Emira, almost tripping, Emira spiked the ball down, seeing face to face with a blocker with short brown hair. Arleve went under the ball, and jumped, Surprising Everyone with a setter dump.
Emira scoffed, obviously dissapointed.

"Luz." I was so distracted by the game, I didnt notice Skara walking up to me.
"Oh hey Skara! What's happening?"
"Your on the court, Amity hopes you have been watching the other team well enough to play."
I Raised my eyebrows, thinking it must have been to early.
"Oh of course!" I smile and get up, not wanting to disappoint the team. I walk over to the court, standing where Skara stood.

"You look like a ghost."
It was Amity.
I blush, in embarrassment,
"Ah- Do I? Haha sorry about that uh, you see I-"
"It's alright to be nervous, just make sure to focus on the game and don't let the ball hit the ground."

She gave a weak smile before turning around without a reply.
Alright so, our best receivers are off the court, and they're probably depending on me.
Edric looked at me,
"Don't worry about anything alright, if you go and attack I'll stay and defend. Just always hit the ball."
"Oh alright. Thanks."
I shouldn't be nervous, after all this is just a practice game.

It was our turn to serve. Or in rather unpleasant words, it was MY turn to serve. A ball bounced towards me, and I stood behind the court line with it in hand.
I've been practicing alot on my serves, I should be fine.

The whistle blew, I threw the ball in the air. I felt calm in this moment, like all my stress had just.. Disappeared?
My feet lift off the ground one by one, and my arms reach up for the ball. I smash it on the other side of the court.

I didnt see if it got over because I was too busy catching myself-
But I look over to see Carson, In pure shock. His arms were out but he seemed unbalanced.
I looked around for the ball, to see it was next to him on the floor.