Chapter 4

Kiran

"Tell me about Silver," I asked the next morning as Mari and I stood at a sink washing dishes.

What about her? Ferri was curled as usual around Mari's neck.

"Anything. Everything. Whatever you know."

Ferri swished her tail. Hmm. There's really not much. She's a grand lady, a bit snooty really, not that I or Mari have ever spoken to her. That's my point, though. She doesn't condescend to speak to servants unless she's issuing orders. She doesn't speak to anyone much. She keeps to herself mostly. The only person she really likes is her brother Darrin. She has two brothers: Kellor is the older one; I think he's twenty-one, and his Matchmate is a lioness named Elira. I stay away from her. She thinks rodents are a nuisance. Then there's Darrin, and he's seventeen. His Matchmate is a squirrel named Eerie. I like them both; Darrin's funny and nice to everybody. Their father is the lord of the manor. He has Silver doing a bunch of stupid lessons on dancing and handwriting, to be a proper lady. Can't say I know anything more.

"Thanks, Ferri. "

I washed another bowl. "And her-- mother? Don't humans usually have one of those?"

Always. But she died five years ago. She didn't Match, and became too weak.

"Oh."

Some unMatched humans could survive, but others slowly withered away and died without a bond to a magical creature. That had been the reason Llyadorans and humans had begun bonding centuries ago.
I wondered what it was like to have a mother and father. Did Silver miss her mother?

I washed an item, held it up to Mari. "Spoon?" I asked.

"Spoon," she confirmed. I washed another dish.

"Plate," she told me. So we went, her naming items and me repeating after her. I wanted to learn Attaliesian as soon as possible.

The morning flew by.
Burnemarr escorted me to have lunch with Silver again. She was waiting for me.

"Hello," I sounded out in her language.

She grinned. "Hello, Kiran."

I sat at the table.

"Tell me about your day," I said in Llyadoran, but she understood my meaning. Again she spoke to me with words and thoughts while we ate. She told me of her lessons in mathematics and history, sewing and music.

"I was practicing on the lyre today."

"I would like to hear you play sometime," I said.

"I have a day off every week. My last day off was the day I met you, so I will have another day off in five days. We can spend the whole day together then. I'll play for you then."

A whole day together. How I wished I could spend every day with Silver.

"That will be wonderful."

I put down my spoon and stand. We have finished eating. She hurriedly does the same. I am around the table and right behind her by the time she is standing. Burnemarr watches me warily.

I comb my hands through her hair, which is loose today. The ebony locks cascade over her shoulders and down her back. She leans into me and looks over her shoulder at my face. We look at each other for a moment, unsmiling. I rest my forehead on the soft top of her head. She smells like flowers. We stand there, relaxed, listening to each other's breathing.

"I wish I had more time with you, my cherished," I say in Llyadoran.

"I'll look in on you tonight," she promises. We step away from each other.