Chapter 6

Kiran

I arose early the next morning and knocked on the door. Burnemarr opened it.

"Good morning," I said.

He smiled at me. "Good morning, Kiran."

We had become friends over the past seven days.

"I do not want to waste a second of my time with Silver. I must go to the bathroom, and then can we go see her?" I requested.

He nodded. "We'll see if she's up."

I hurried through my morning ablutions. We arrived at the door to Silver's rooms. Burnemarr knocked on the door. A maid opened it.

"Is Lady Theris up?" Burnemarr asked.

"She is. She requested an early breakfast for herself and her Matchmate. Please come in. It is ready for you." The maid looked around Burnemarr to me.

We entered and crossed the outer room to the room we met in for meals. Silver stood at a window to outside. She turned when she sensed my presence and beamed at me. She stood surrounded by sunlight, shining and magnificent. I couldn't help staring at her.

"Good morning, mai naheira'ain," I said. She liked hearing me speak Llyadoran, especially if she could understand me.
Your voice is gorgeous, she had told me.

"I'm so excited. The whole day together," she says now.

I smile slowly, come toward her. I wrap my arms around her and whisper into her neck, "Yes. What will we do all day?"

We eat breakfast, of course. And then we sit entwined on a couch, speaking only in emotions. Happiness, content, love, excitement travel through our bond. I sigh and curl my arm around her middle, drawing her even closer. She nestles in, tucking her head under my chin.

"I can't believe I was ever afraid of you. I feel so safe," she murmurs. I do not know if she even intends for me to hear her. But my focus on her is so strong, I would hear her whisper in a room full of shouting people.

"I will never hurt you," I promise in a low tone.

"I know," she murmurs into my neck.

We cuddle in silence for a long time. The contact soothes me, as if it is something I will die without and I must store it up for the week to come where I will see her for only short periods of time. I stroke her hair. Silver feels as necessary to me as breathing.

Burnemarr shifts on his feet, over by the door. He may be used to standing guard silently, but he is uncomfortable in the long silence while we hold each other. I sit up straight and draw away from Silver a few inches. I smirk.

"Well, were we going to do anything other than sit together today?"

Silver sits up too. "I thought sitting together was nice. But yes," she said, pushing her hair behind her ears, "I had thought we could take a walk together on the estate."

So we went for a walk, hand in hand. I carried a sitar over my shoulder with a strap. Burnemarr walked behind us.

We walked until we came to a good place to settle. Burnemarr carried a picnic basket. He opened it and got out a blanket. We spread it out in the thick grass under a birch tree. We sat down together with our backs to the tree. Burnemarr sat a distance away. Close enough to see and hear us, far enough away to be unobtrusive.

Silver played for me, plucking and strumming the strings of the sitar. The music was wild and beautiful. It had a foreign sound to me, who had never seen an instrument before leaving Llyador. The strings twang in a a stirring way as Silver plucks them effortlessly. I hear our heartbeats, making the percussion. The sounds of birds overhead, joining in the song. The wind in the tree branches. The sheep baa over in their pastures. Silver smiles over the sitar at me, tossing her hair over her shoulder. I drink it in - the beautiful day, Silver, the birds, the exotic music.