Chapter 16

Silver was grateful it was finally her day off. She sat in front of her dresser, watching in the mirror as one of her maids ran the brush repeatedly through her long hair. The other maid was sorting through the closet for what Silver should wear today.

"What would you like today, my lady?" she asked.

Silver smiled at her although the girl couldn't see it, as Silver had her back to her. Silver was watching as best she could through the mirror.

"I'd like to keep it simple today," she answered. "I'll probably stay up late tonight and don't want to keep you up unnecessarily. So no stays, a dress I can take off myself, and a braid, perhaps. Then I won't need you to help me undress tonight."

The fashion for noble ladies was rather stifling. With stays or corsets and dresses that fastened in the back, it was a necessity to have the help of her maids most of the time. But she remembered how late she had stayed up last time and how tired her maids had been. And yes, she was distant and commanding with her servants most of the time, but no one could ever say she was a cruel mistress. She was good to her servants.

Having assumed the role of lady of the house much younger than most misses, the stiffness and formality had seemed the best way to keep the respect and obedience of the servants she commanded- many of whom were much older than she. She preferred not to deal with the resentment and hostility she would receive if she was perceived as young and immature. She needed respect from her servants, not friends, she told herself.

But now Kiran came along, showing her a bit of what it was like for the lower class. Befriending them. Such as his guard, Burnemarr. She marveled at how close the two were. It was clear there was respect and trust between the two men, despite their age difference.

And now Darrin with Mari. She had not seen that coming at all. She knew next to nothing about the girl. And she intended to remedy that- but probably not today. Today was her day off and she wanted to spend as much as possible of it with Kiran. Sure, she saw him every day and communicated with him near-constantly through the bond, but she had so much work and classes and talking with nobles... So many responsibilities. She just wanted to spend time with Kiran as Silver and not Lady Theris.

She made a mental note to get to know Ele and Ethann better too. They were important to her Matchmate, and therefore important to her as well.

While she had been lost in thought, the maids had finished getting her ready for the day. Silver thanked and dismissed them before heading for Kiran's room.

She finds Burnemarr and Kiran just outside his room, side by side, talking. She finds the contrast of the two men amusing. Kiran's skin is a dusky color while Burnemarr's is a rich chocolate.
Kiran stands an inch or so shorter than Burnemarr but his build was much leaner and wiry. If Kiran resembles a jungle cat, Burnemarr is an ox- both are dangerous in their own ways. Burnemarr's head, tilted towards Kiran, is covered in tight dark curls cut close to his scalp, while Kiran's vibrant purple strands hang down messily past his ears. Kiran's eyes (oh his gorgeous eyes) are, as noted before, mismatched and piercing, intense. Burnemarr's are a steady, reassuring brown. Burnemarr is a very calm and capable man; still not yet in his thirties, yet trusted by the king and nobles alike.

Silver wondered how she had overlooked him before.

Then, with an amused smile, she compared their two Matchmates: Gurr, the often grumpy cat; and her, the aloof noble. Well suited opposites to their outgoing Matchmates. Silver found her similarities to Gurr funny.

Burnemarr and Kiran turned almost as one at her approach. Kiran, she knew, had sensed her arrival through the bond. As for Burnemarr, she supposed he was so attuned to Kiran that he followed his movements.