Chapter 18

Silver

Sleep usually got along well with Silver. Usually, waking up was the problem. Especially in the months following her mother's death, when she had woken up forgetting she was gone. That split second of innocence before reality hit like a wave.

Before Kiran came, there were days when she didn't want to get up: after all, what point was there to her life? Her father was distant, Kellor insufferable, and Darrin was her only friend. Her days were filled with endless lessons and responsibilities.

Now, she woke up eager to face the day. To see him.

Love was a strange and wonderful thing.

Regardless of whether it was true love or a result of the bond, she loved Kiran. Such feelings were strange to Silver. She honestly didn't know how to interpret her feelings for him, but knew they ran deep.

The nightmare had shaken her.

Somehow she knew that even if Kiran had shared the event with her through the bond, it would not have been so visceral. Kiran had great mental control over what he showed her, she had come to realize. This… this had been raw and unguarded, a portal into his dreaming mind.

Silver had never faced the dangers Kiran had. She had never left the estate without an escort. She was sheltered and protected, and such terrors were not a part of her world.
It made her wonder if she would ever be able to fully understand Kiran. How could she relate to him, when their worlds were so different?

She shuddered again at the memory of the sea serpent. The slimy brush of it against her legs.

Goosebumps made her skin prickle with cold despite the beautiful weather outside her window.

Stop it, she told herself.

Silver? Kiran questioned.

Her mental control was not nearly as good as Kiran's. Often her thoughts slipped through the bond.

Silver tried to shake off the nightmare. It wasn't even hers!

Although that almost made it worse…
The things her Matchmate had suffered.

Good morning, Kiran.

She faked a smile that was pointless, as Kiran couldn't see her but he could read her emotions through the bond. Still, habits died hard.

Ooshoo, he replied.

She thought his voice seemed guarded, but she couldn't be sure. She wondered if she would even have known what happened if she hadn't been in the nightmare herself. Would he have told her? He was so good at hiding his weaknesses- even from her. Why did he feel the need to hide it from her? She was his Match. She would never use it against him.
Perhaps habits died hard for him as well.

Are you okay? she asked. She was aware she was a broken record. She had said this so many times during the night. Despite his reassurances, she still worried.

I'm fine, cerecorian. It happened years ago.

She scoffed. Time does not necessarily mean it no longer bothers you. I am a prime example of the fact.

He softened. L'aksanneneile.

Silver rubbed the silky fabric of her skirt between two fingers.

Kiran, be honest with me please.

He sighed. No one likes nightmares, arnashininanë. But they'll never go away. That's the curse of Nightmare Loch. I've gotten used to it. I'm more bothered by the fact that I subjected you to it.