Chapter 15

Silver

"Can I speak to you about something?" Darrin asked, his head poking around the door.

Silver waved him in, wondering what this was about. He didn't normally request a chance to talk, they just talked. The request made it something unusual. Something Darrin didn't know how to broach.

"If this is about you keeping Kiran's secret from me, then he already explained everything and I honestly don't disagree with what you did. I'm glad I heard it from him instead of you."

"Uh, no," Darrin said with a grimace. "That wasn't exactly what I was here to talk about. But I'm glad you guys got it resolved!" he said brightly.

Silver settled onto the couch in her sitting room, smoothing her skirts out around her. Darrin sat across from her, his knee bouncing up and down nervously. He always had so much energy.

"I-" his mouth twisted in hesitation.

Silver rubbed the fold of her dress between two fingers. The vibration of the fabric soothed her, the motion subconscious.

"I like Mari," he blurted out.

Silver blinked a few times and still did not understand. "Who?" she said stupidly.

"Mari- she's a servant. She works in the kitchens, mostly. " He stared at her expectantly, waiting for her reaction.

"Oh. Oh," she said. "I think I know who you're talking about. I spoke to her when I was looking for Kiran the other day. Her Matchmate's a ferret, right? "

Darrin smiled. Literally, his face lit up.

He really likes her. How did I not notice this? Silver thought to herself.

"That's her. She's so smart. And sweet and pretty," he rambled.

Silver smiled at him fondly. This was a development she had honestly never considered. She'd never really thought about what his brother would look like when he was head over heels in love.

"You like her a lot," Silver commented.

Darrin sobered abruptly. He swallowed.

"I can't," he said.

Silver narrowed her eyes at him.

"Explain. "

"It won't work, it's never gonna work and I'm just making it harder on both of us by spending so much time with her. I can't marry her, now can I?"

He was already thinking about marriage. How long had he liked Mari. Loved her? Her brother was a gentle man underneath all the jokes and it looked like he'd fallen hard.

"Why won't it work? Father married Mother, and she was a servant. "

"That's just it. Look how well that turned out. Father loved Mother, and had to watch her die of magic deprivation. He'd never let me marry anyone outside of the noble class because of it. "

"Mari has a Match." Silver felt the need to point out the obvious.

"True. But it still weakens our bloodline. With our house in the condition it's in... It's just not possible."

Silver didn't say anything for several seconds.

"You've obviously put a lot of thought into this," she said slowly. "How long?"

"How long have I liked Mari?" Darrin asked, understanding her meaning.
"A couple years. I've known her a while now. " He laughed a little at himself. "Obviously. Since we both live here. But I've only been spending time with her this past year. "