Chapter 10

Silver

Silver contemplated the array of dresses laid out for her today. It used to never really matter to her what she wore, as long as she was clean and presentable. Besides, all her outfits were pretty. But now, because of Kiran, she cared. She cared what she looked like. She cared that he saw her as beautiful. It wasn't like she had never been told she was beautiful before. Plenty of people had told her. But Kiran... He said it - and felt it - and looked at her - so sincerely. So intensely. Intense. Kiran was intense in so many ways.

She tried to focus on the question at hand.

"That one," she said, pointing. The maids began putting away the other dresses.

"Yes, my lady. A marvelous choice," one murmured, bobbing a curtsy.

They lifted the dress and helped her into it. A melodic tinkle sounded from the dress as she put it on. The dress was made of a soft material and a light blue and hemmed with gold thread. The sleeves clung to her arms and ended at her elbows. The skirt was made up of ruffles. The bodice was buttoned down the front by a row of round golden bells. The ruffles of the skirt were also covered in bells. They lightly jingled as she moved. Her maids help her step into a pair of golden heels.

Today she was to have tea with several misses. Though generally used for female children without titles, "miss" referred to all females of the nobility. Her maids settled her into a chair and began arranging her hair. They brushed it till it shone, then gathered it up in a net that was also dotted with tiny bells. They pulled a few curls loose on each side of her face. They placed sapphire studs in her ears. Silver examined her expression critically in the mirror.

"You look lovely, my lady," one of her maids said.

"Thank you; you may fetch breakfast." Silver sent them away with a wave of her hand. The ring of the Lady of House Theris flashed from its place on her right thumb. She did not wear it all the time, but she was to wear it on any occasion where she would be acting as Lady. The maids curtsied and departed the room, leaving Silver alone.

Good morning, she said, speaking to Kiran for the first time that day.

Ooshoo, cerecorian, he replied, a smile in his voice. It is a beautiful morning.

Is it?

She rose and exited her dressing room, walking to the room where she and Kiran met for lunch. She looked out the window. The sun was bright and cheerful, and a few streaky clouds stretched across the sky. Flowers blossomed on the fruit trees in the orchard. More flowers bloomed just below her window in the garden at the front of the manor.

You're right, she said. It's beautiful. And what are you doing this lovely morning?

You will never guess, he said wryly.

She tried anyway. He took pity on her after four guesses.

I am working on the stables.

Oh? And what are you doing there? She asked.

Cleaning one of the stalls. Quite messy work, he said easily. What are you doing?

Waiting for my maids to bring breakfast, she answered. She sat down on the couch. She remembered how Kiran had held her there on her day off. The comfort and security she had felt nestled in his arms.

Kiran groaned. Do not send me that, he pleaded, his voice rough. You are making me long for something I cannot have right now.

Immediately she snapped off the image. It had been so strong in her mind that she had unconsciously sent it to Kiran.