Chapter 12

Kiran

"So what happened next?" she asked.

She was working on embroidery, while I picked debris out of clumps of dirty wool. A little distance away Burnemarr sat, working also.

"After what?" I asked.

"Once you left Arinyhe. I told you I wanted to hear what happened."

She smiled at me. I smiled back.

"Well, it took several days, but I finally descended to the base of the mountains and out of Winter's Fort. The place I came to was flat and grassy, desolate. I walked for several days without seeing a sign of any creature. One day, as I walked on, a great shadow crossed the gloomy sky, and I glanced up. Through the air an enormous creature dived, something clutched in its claw. It was pursued by another creature like it. With a scream, the second creature attacked the first, and they fought for several minutes. In the confusion, the first creature dropped the thing it had been holding. The thing was about the size of a fist, and looked much like a rock, but in my mind I heard its cry for help as it plummeted to the ground. I leapt and caught it from the air. The creature stopped mid-scream. The two creatures overhead continued fighting.

Hello? The creature I held in my hand said tentatively.

Greetings, I responded. My name is Kiran. Are you all right?

The creature looked like a small round rock with a tuft of peat on its head. It quivered nervously in my hand.

I am now, thanks to you. If I had hit the ground... So thank you. Thank you so much. And oh, my name is Petrah. Can we get out of here?

I looked up at the still fighting creatures.

We can and we shall.

I took off with a brisk stride, afraid to risk attracting their attention by running. There was no cover in sight. Just miles and miles of swaying grass. Eventually the creatures stopped fighting and noticed their prize was gone. Shrill cries pierced the air.

Petrah? Can you tell me anything about these creatures? I asked.

They're scary. And they probably want to eat you, she said as they descended on us, hooked beaks and sharp, jagged, bat-like wings menacing.

I can see that. Anything else? What kind of creatures are they? What are their weaknesses?

I don't know. They're wild, not Llyadorans.

I carefully set her down and braced myself for a fight.

All right. Be careful, I said.

They attacked."

Silver gasped. I looked over at her. Burnemarr was quietly attentive in the corner.

"What happened?" Silver asked, wide-eyed. I shrug.

"I fought back."

"And you won? How?"

I give her my hand, palm up. The fingers curve upward, displaying my claws, wickedly strong and sharp. She holds my hand in both of hers, and we remember that first day. I sense Silver's echo of that fear. Then her finger glides over the smooth top of a claw.

"I'm not defenseless," I say quietly. Burnemarr is staring at my claws. I take my hand back. "And Petrah helped."

Silver sighed. I looked at her questioningly.

"Yet another incomplete answer, Kiran."

I laughed softly. "This one, I'll explain," I promised.