Chapter 11

Kiran

The next morning I was waiting for Burnemarr when he opened the door.

"I have a plan," I announced.

He eyed me warily.

"A plan?"

I brushed past him and out the door. He followed as I headed to the bathroom.

I said, "I need to speak to Lord Theris."

Burnemarr was speechless. He stopped dead.

I went to the bathroom, and when I came out, Burnemarr had recovered.

"Speak to Lord Theris? Kiran, are you insane?"

"Not at all," I reply. "You wanted me to tell someone what was going on."

He gaped. "You can't just- he has dozens of people waiting to speak to him. And besides, he would never speak to you. You're just a-"
He caught himself and stopped.

"A what?" I prodded. "A dumb creature? A Llyadoran? An animal?"

Burnemarr swallowed.
"Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way-"

I leveled my gaze at him. "I'm his daughter's Matchmate. He has to speak to me."

"Kiran, you can't just speak to the Lord Theris! There's a waiting list."

I began to stride away.

"Then get me on it."

     ______________________________

While Burnemarr went to get me on the list, I headed to my morning chores at the sheep pen. He came and joined me later. When we finished there, we returned to the manor. We were met by a servant who informed us that our turn to speak to Lord Theris was near. We washed up, then sat in an anteroom to the lord's audience chamber. Finally my name was called.

"Kiran of Llyador, Matchmate to Lady Silver Theris, attended by Burnemarr," a servant announced as he opened the door.

I walked in, with Burnemarr three steps behind me.

Lord Theris, Silver's father, sat behind an imposing desk. His Matchmate, the hawk Skyelin, was perched on a stand at his side.

"You, a Llyadoran, beg audience of me." His voice boomed around the chamber.

I inclined my head in barest respect.

"I do."

Behind me, Burnemarr drew a long breath in through his nose.

Be careful of how you speak to the lord, small creature, Skyelin's voice whispers through my mind. He does not like disrespect.

Which he will not receive if he is a man worth respecting. But my respect is not a gift, I reply. It must be earned.

She does not respond, but her Match begins speaking. "Why have you come before me?"

I took a few steps forward. "I have come," I said, "to make a request."

He watched me silently.

"I am Matched to your daughter," I began, "but I hardly even see her. I am apart from her but for a single hour every day. It is not enough. I say again, I am her Matchmate. I belong to her. I need to be with her, by her side. This separation - it is draining, and physically painful, to both of us. Please. Release me to stand at her side at all times."

"You have proven to be dangerous." Lord Theris rumbled. "You knocked down your Matchmate at your Matching. Why should I release you." He made it a statement rather than a question.