Chapter 9

Silver

She missed Kiran. How, she wondered, had she grown so dependant on something she had only had for a few days?

But she missed that feeling of closeness they had had when their bond first let them start speaking to each other. Now she felt the distance from Kiran, a hesitation before each sentence as he measured every word and feeling before he sent it. She wished for the unguarded speech and emotions they had had before.

What was wrong? she wondered. She tried not to pry and ask him about it. Perhaps he missed Llyador. He had shown her what it was like, for a Llyadoran to be summoned for their Match. They had no choice. They were compelled to come. And compelled to stay. He had told her that the Llyadorans had to remain close to their Match.

"Why?" she had asked.

"It is - physically painful - to be far from our Match," he had said carefully.

She realized that his mild words did not begin to express the agony of separation. Perhaps he did not truly want to be here. Perhaps he was only staying because he had to. She felt a sob begin to rise up.

Silver! Are you all right? Kiran asked urgently.

She tried to shove her sorrow aside.
Fine, she said.

Kiran paused. You're not fine, he said. You're sad... And you feel guilty. Why?

She did not answer.

Silver? he prompted softly. How can a mental voice be soft? The tenderness made her want to break down sobbing.

You don't really want to be here, she blurted out. Then she wanted to slap herself. She hadn't meant to say that! There was a stunned silence from Kiran.

What? he exclaimed. She felt him searching the bond for her meaning. She felt his sudden understanding.

No! No, no, no. I'm so glad that I'm here, with you.

But you're not really with me! she cried. And it's not like you wanted to come. You were forced here. I wish I could free you.

You're saying you want to be free of me? Because I don't want to be free of you. I would chain myself to your side, if I could, he said with an undercurrent of dark humor.

But - you, she stammered.

I'm glad I was summoned, he continued. I'm privileged to be your Match. I'm happy to be here, with you.

But you're not happy! she exclaimed.

He paused. I'm happy with you. Everything else is an adjustment. I'm not used to this world. But it will get better. And you - you make everything worth it. I would not go back.

She thought about that.

Really? she said in a small voice.

She felt his smile, as slow and beautiful as the dawn.

Really. My heart belongs to you. Always. I will never wish to leave. Nothing can make me leave. The last was said as if to himself. She frowned a little at it but basked in the warmth of his smile.

You have a beautiful smile, she told him. She felt his soft laugh.

You can't even see it, he said.

I can feel it.

Just as I could feel your worry earlier. It will be all right, mai cere, he said.