Secrets

Betty's POV

It's been about two months since Veronica got here. It's been great honestly. She stays in the guest bedroom. That wasn't my idea. That was more my mom's idea. I don't know what she's so worried about. Nothing can happen. But we don't complain about it. She still sneaks to my rooms sometimes. Although, I'm pretty sure knows that anyway. 

Sometimes I think about what would've happened if we never went on that trip during the summer. Well, for one, Veronica and I would've never met. I wouldn't be out to anyone. I'd still be questioning if I'm being honest. I would be scared to tell anyone anything. I'm happy with her. I don't think I could picture my life without her. I can't believe we've been together for eight months now.

I just got back to the house from picking up food from Pops. My mom wasn't home so it was only me and Veronica. I walked inside and I heard her talking but I couldn't hear a second voice so I assumed she was on the phone. 

"I thought you said you were done with that," she said. She is in the kitchen. I quietly shut the door so she wouldn't hear me. I know I shouldn't eavesdrop but I'm curious as to what this is about. I slowly walked to the table and her back was towards me. I put anything in my hands on the table. "I'm tired of this shit. Just leave me alone!" She said and turned around. "Oh, hi, Betty. I got to go,"

"What was that about?" I asked her. She shook her head and walked over to me.

"It was nothing. Just a stupid spam call," she wrapped her arms around my neck. 

"Really? It sounded like you knew them or something?"

"I'm sure. Come on let's eat," she said and sat at the table. I sighed and nodded.

Since it was Wednesday I started getting ready for bed at around 8:30. Although I don't really go to sleep till about midnight most of the time. I was in my room when I saw Veronica quickly walk by my room. I followed her all the way to the door.

"Where are you going?" She looked back at me.

"Oh, uhh, I was just going out for a little bit," 

"At nine at night? Veronica, it's dark," She sighed.

"I'll be back in like half an hour. I promise."

"Why don't I just come with you?"

"Why? So you can keep me safe? Or because you don't want to be here alone?" She asked. I rolled my eyes. 

"No, I just want to know where you are going." 

"I'll tell you later. I will be back soon, okay?" I nodded.

"Alright," 

"Don't wait up for me," she said and left.

Veronica's POV

I hate lying to Betty but it's only for a little while. I just have to figure out what the hell is going on. Apperently my father is starting to pay people even more than before just to bring me home. It's been a little over a year since I ran away and he's still trying to bring me home. I don't understand why. It's to be a part of his stupid family business that I want to do with.

I finally got to Pops. When I walked inside she was already there. Robyn Conner. I walked over to her and sat across from her.

"I thought I wouldn't have to see you anymore," I said, she sighed.

"I know. I thought so, too. But it looks like your father is still trying to get you home. Also, thanks  for allowing me to know where you were." 

"Yeah, sure. I feel like the only way to get him to stop bothering me is to kill him or something," 

"Well, we don't want to get arrested now do we?" I laughed. "Why don't you go and see him?"

"Why the hell would I do that?"  

"To tell him in person to stop looking for you. That you are leaving the family and its business behind. That you want no part of it," 

"You know, I might do that. We get a week out of school next week. I'll get a flight and go there. The only question is will I make it back?"

"Would you like me to come with you?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea. Betty is already questioning me. She heard me on the phone with you earlier. She wanted to come with me when I left."

"Betty? Is that the girlfriend?" I nodded. "Right. You should bring her with you. It could piss him off. That you have somebody to stay somewhere for."

"Yeah, I'll talk to her. Alright, it's getting late and I promised her I'd be back before 9:30."

When I finally got back to her house it was dark and quiet. I don't understand why her mom has us staying in two separate rooms but I really find it funny. Although, it doesn't matter right now because her mom is out of town for the next two weeks. 

I walked up to her room and found her asleep on her bed. I smiled and walked into her room. I crawled into her bed next to her slowly so I wouldn't wake her. I guess that didn't work because she moved closer to me, resting her head on my chest. I smiled and I knew she was. 

"You took longer than you said you would," she mumbled.

"What?" 

"It's 9:45. You said 9:30." I sighed.

"I'm sorry. I can make it up to you,"

"I like the sound of that, but I'm too tired for anything you have in mind right now."

"Tomorrow then,"

"Tomorrow,"