Back Home... Again

Veronica's POV

I was woken up by Betty. I sighed and groaned. I heard her laugh a little and take the covers off of me. I let out another frustrated groan. 

"Come on, you have to get up."

"You know if you weren't so damn adorable I probably would've killed you by now," I told her. "Also, it's the weekend. I don't need to be getting up at," I looked at my phone. "Nine in the morning,"

"Well, you do have a plane at three to New York,"

"Right. I chose to forget,"

"Well, you made a promise,"

"It wasn't a promise. I just agreed to meet him so he could give me something,"

"And that something might be important," I sighed.

"Alright," I climbed out of bed. 

"Hey, don't be so upset. As you said, you agreed to it,"

"I hate you,"

"I'm gonna hurt you if you say that again,"

"Do it," I said. 

"What was that?" Her mom asked and entered the room.

"Oh, my God!" I said under my breath and looked at her.

"Nothing, mom." She said as both of us are trying not to laugh. 

Betty drove me to the airport. I wasn't really happy that I was going alone, but it seemed like the best option. Only because my father made it sound really important. And Betty made me take a bag just in case I couldn't make it back by tonight. You know, about two years ago I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't go back to New York, but here I am on my way there for the second time since then.

When I got there it was late. I guess she was smart to pack a bag. I didn't waste any time. The moment I got there I made my way to my dad's as soon as possible. I just wanna leave. I really hate this place.

I finally made it to my dad's and knocked on the door. It took barely a minute for him to answer.

"Thanks for coming back. I know how much you wanted to stay away." He said.

"Yeah, can we please make this quick?" I asked.

"As you wish, follow me." I sighed and followed him to his office. He sat down and pointed for me to sit.

"I'm not here for a sit-down. I'm here to get what you wanted to give me and leave. Also, I'm really confused about it."

"That is why I'm having you sit with me. I need to clear some confusion." I said and sat down.

"What?"

"So, what I'm guessing you're most confused on is when I said it might be a little soon and that you're in high school."

"Yeah, kind of."

"Well, last time you came here you were with something who you said was your girlfriend."

"As you upset we're together, too?"

"No, I'm happy for you. Who doesn't accept you?"

"Mom. She somehow figured out who Betty's parents are and lost her mind about it." He nodded.

"Okay, well, I don't care. Just as long as your happy and she treats you right." I smiled as he said that. My mom always made him out to be the bad guy. Why would she do that? "How long have you two been together?"

"Almost a year, why?"

"I'm giving you something because it's a family heirloom. It wouldn't have been given to you because last time I saw you had liked guys."

"Now I'm even more confused. Family heirloom?"

He reached down and opened a draw grabbing something out of it. He closed the drawer and held it in his hand. I tried to look at it but he hid it from me.

"What the hell is happening? What is it?"

"I'm giving this to you because your mom gave it back when we divorced. And I won't be needing it anymore."

"I'm starting to get impatient," he sighed and handed me what was in his hand. It was a small little box. "What is this?"

"Open it before you ask anything," I sighed and opened it. I looked at him again.

"The family heirloom is a ring?" He let out a small sigh of disappointment.

"You know sometimes I think your smart sometimes you act very dumb," I nodded and agreement.

"Yes, true. I'm just very confused on why?"

"I proposed to your mother with this ring,"

"Oh, I understand now,"

"Yeah, I contacted you now before you changed your number again. I just wanted to be able to give that to you." I nodded. "Use that wisely, please." I slowly closed it and looked up at him again.

"I will. But, uh, I'm still in high school."

"I know. Wait a few more years. I hope she's the one."

"Me, too."

"You know I would've asked if Betty could come here but I knew you probably wouldn't want me in the same room as her."

"I'm regaining my trust,"

"I'm happy to hear that, you may go now." I nodded and got up. Just as I reached the door I stopped and looked at him.

"Thank you,"

"For what?"

"Telling the truth."

"Your welcome,"

I ended up going back the moment I left. It's just everywhere I turn as bad memories.

When I got back it was late. I walked inside it was quiet and dark. I walked into the room and Betty was laying in the bed asleep. I changed and climbed in next to her. Her eyes opened and she looked at me.

"What are you doing back?"

"I decided I wanted to come back,"

"This late?"

"I didn't want to be there longer than I needed." She nodded and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me closer.

"What was it he needed to give you?"

"It was nothing. Just some family heirloom thing. It's nothing. He just wanted to make sure it was safe."

"I'll believe that story," I smiled.

"Okay," I said and closed my eyes although it took me a while to fall asleep. I just couldn't stop thinking about what he gave me. Why would he give it so early? Why would he think I was going to change my number? I'm still very confused with the things he does.