brief but kind of dramatic

I've never been good at sports, never even really took an interest in them. I mean, sure, my dad forced me to play soccer and my mom forced me to dance, like most little girls have. I gave up on those, though, preferring the non-athletic beauty of art. 

Still, though, I love watching the boys play basketball in the gym.

"Explain the symptoms of a panic attack," Sofia grumbles. "I swear, this school is awful. I've learned absolutely nothing."

I grin, but don't look away from the court. "We're only a month in. You'll start learning eventually."

She's silent for a second, then she taps my knee with her pencil. "Don't you have some sketches do, or some shit?"

"Just a print. I'll be able to do it tonight."

"Ellie Rose, I love you, but we've been here for almost half an hour. I'm starving, and I don't think my loving boyfriend would really love the idea of me watching a bunch of shirtless guys play basketball."

I look at her, finally breaking my eye contact from the sweating boys. "Fine. None of them are that cute, anyway. Just wanted to check it out."

Sofia smiles with relief, and we both stand from the bleachers. As Sofia packs her bag back up, I'm already walking down, since I never took out anything. She catches up with me as I'm walking on the sidelines, suddenly feeling very anxious and self aware. I'm worried that the boys are staring at us, at me, and judging. 

I take a quick glance over, and none of them are looking in our direction. I feel a bit better now, and we walk past the heavy equipment, where plenty of people are sweating their asses off. I open the door for Sofia, and we step onto the paved sidewalk, past a tall girl heading inside.

I quickly miss the air conditioned gym as the September sun bears down on us. I wish I had brought something to pull my hair up, but I'm glad that at least I'm wearing shorts and an oversized t-shirt, like Sofia.

"Mark says to meet him at the coffee shop." She tells me, looking down at her phone. 

I nod, and we head that direction. Mark is a new friend in our group, which has been just me, Sofia, and Sofia's boyfriend, Ryan, since ninth grade. Sofia and I are roommates, and so are Ryan and Mark in their suite. There's one other guy with them, and the other one just hasn't shown up to school. We all got into Virginia University, myself on a full ride scholarship, Sofia on a scholarship, and Ryan with his rich parents. 

When we walk in, I can't help but laugh, since Mark's uniform is still funny to me. It's not that hilarious- a white baseball cap, black shirt, and a white apron- but for some reason, it never fails to crack me up.

Mark gives me a teasing glare with a grin as we walk over to the register since no one else is in line. "I'm off in two minutes. You guys want anything?"

We both shake our heads, then we sit at our usual four seater table next to the window. Sofia pulls out her notes and lap top, while I pull out my sketchbook and pencil, beginning to sketch her as she's focused on her work. 

Soon enough, Ryan sits next to Sofia, Mark next to me. 

"You need a hair cut," Sof tells Ryan, messing with his black hair, which definitely has grown out a lot since he cut it at the start of the school year.

He pouts out his bottom lip. "I thought I looked good."

"You do, it's just..." She shrugs. "A bit much."

While they argue about his hair, Mark puts his head right next to mine, watching me draw. I feel a bit awkward with someone observing so closely. So, I decide it's done, and put my book and pencil back in my bag. Mark sits back up straight and takes off his hat, letting his brown, messy hair fall onto his forehead.