[13]

"—don't you think?" Those three words entered my brain from Alice's lips. In fairness, I had several reasons to miss the first half of what she said. We were in the living room, see. That's where we always shared dinner. I finished my pasta. Combined with all the other stuff I had going on, and the television, my mind was off. My reply was... subpar.

"Uh, sure."

A burgundy-colored soda can rose to my lips. I kicked down the fizzy, syrupy drink. When I lowered my arm and my face, I found the scowl of a girl. Alice was sitting at the edge of the couch, shoulders hunched over this salad on the table. I swear, ever since she started eating salads, she'd become so fussy.

She turned from me. "Forget it. You're not even listening."

"Hmm?"

"'Hmmmmm'. Ugh, you're like a zombie."

I shuffled to the couch edge. "Ok, ok, I'm listening. Don't I think, what?"

She sighed. "What I said was," she added suspense, "today was such a beautiful day. It would've been perfect for a funeral." Alice slipped some lettuce between her lips. The chomps were heavy.

A perfect day for a funeral? What does that mean?

"I guess?" I said. Was that really what she said?

"When would you want to die, Gray? If you could plan it, I mean. I've been thinking about that, you know. When you might die. If I'm going to speak at your funeral, I think spring would be best. You could have an outdoor funeral. I'd kill at an outdoor funeral. I know I would. Winter, ugh, it's too depressing. And cold..."

Where was all this coming from? Oh, I know what this was. This was that weird girl talk.

When they get fussy about something unrelated to what's really bothering them. But they don't say it. No, they withdraw. They keep it inside. Waiting for someone to peel back the layers. I'd have to be that person tonight, huh? Man, why are girls like this? Fortunately, it was a less than torturous exercise. I had an idea of what was bothering her. I was correct, too.

"...You know I'm right, Gray."

"Alice," I tried to interrupt.

"...Don't die in summer, either. It's too hot for black. Everyone sweating like that. Yuck." 

"Alice..."

"...People always wear black. There's nothing wrong with that, other than being boring. I'd hate for your funeral to be boring. And I'm not making it about me—" her face shook— "I'm just saying, if you want me there, it better be spring—"

"Alice!"

She convulsed into a silence.

"You're nervous... about not making the team..."

"Pshh! Are you kidding? Something like that. That wouldn't bother someone like me."

"Really?"

"Yeah!"

"Hmm. Ok. And what about the salads? What's up with that, Alice?"

"What? It's called being healthy," she defended.

"It's punishment."

"No, I just..."

She swallowed whatever lie tried to come up.

"Gray, I played so bad. Today is the last day. What if... what if I don't make the team, Gray?"

I swallowed the reflex to say, "Uh, then you don't make the team? Can I go back to watching TV now?" That was cruel and not how I actually felt. Not now. Not with her. "Everything's going to be fine, Alice."

"You don't know that, Gray. Forget it, ok? It's stupid."

"Hey."

She looked at me.

"Everything is going to be fine. You are going to be fine. Got that?" I slurped the final drops of soda out the can. A hallow noise popped when I planted it on the table. My back crushed the cushions of the couch, I was done talking about this.

"Huh. Look at you," Alice teased. "All worked up for my sake. Nice to know you care so much."

"All for 10 bucks, too," I said.

"10 bucks?"

"5 for getting worked up. 5 for caring. You thought this was free?"

"10 bucks, then?" she said pensively. "That's all, right?"

"It's a steal," I said.

"I'll say."

We went back to watching TV. An invisible force pulled our shoulders together, something we'd yet to experience with one another. Well, never quite like this. Different than an accident either of us could or wanted to play off.

More pressure fell on me without warning.

I looked to my right. Her eyes were shut. I could feel the soft inflations of her slumbering body. In and out. In and out.

Heaviness sank my eyelids. Quick and undeniable. The condition spread to the rest of my body. Unable to move, I surrendered. Closing my eyes and letting the peacefulness merge us together. It was complete. We slept. 

That was a good night.

CHAPTER 5 IS NOW OVER

VOTE IF YOU LIKED THIS ENDING THIS ONE ENDED SO SOFT, I THINK

SEE YOU TOMORROW?