Chapter 9

Xander pov

Both me and Thomas were unable to move for god knows how long. If all she has said was the truth what had I done. When we finally came back to our senses Thomas immediately started calling someone. From what I assume someone who could tell if they were morphed or real.

I was unable to think of anything. I had no idea what to do. If the photographs were not real, I had done a damage which was irreparable.

She was no longer my wife. I had no right on her. I had no right to bring her back.

Is that what she wanted? Is that the reason she waited for divorce to be finalised before telling us everything?

But wait.

Maybe its another one of her trick to mislead us and try her bigger plan. She had been fooling me for all these years. I can never be so sure now.

"Thomas, wait. What if she is trying to mislead us? Buying time to execute much bigger plan. She did ask me if that was the only reason I was divorcing her."

Thomas have me a look of disgust and for the first time he yelled at me.

"You know what you are sick Xander. And to be honest you don't even deserve her. And why did she say the last sentence is for you to think. You were with her for almost twelve years. If I can understand her than why can't you."

At this point of time my emotions were all over the place. I had no idea what to do. If she was telling the truth then why didn't she deny the photographs the first time she saw them?

Because she expected you to trust her, like she always did.

We have been working on the photos for last three weeks now. And now we know.

The photographs were morphed.

I had never felt so stupid in my life.

Thomas has refused to talk to me. I can't muster courage to apologise to Sophie. I couldn't even go to our room.

It feels like thousand daggers are piercing my heart at the same time.

If I hadn't told her to leave.

If I had just listened to my heart and hugged her.

If I had just believed her over these damn photos.

My Sophie would be with me.

As I was sitting at the bar alone, my phone rang. It was my mother.

"Hello Xander, Happy Birthday Baby."

I didn't want to talk to anyone. My Sophie used to bake me cookies on my birthday. She used to make muffins for me ever since we started dating.

She always made me feel like a king.

And I couldn't treat my queen like a queen she was.

"Mom, I will talk to you later."

"Xand...."

As I was about to pour myself a drink my doorbell rang.

There stood a man with a large parcel. It was adressed to Sophie so I took it in.

Along with the parcel there was a hand written card too. The writting I knew very well. It was Sophie.

At that instant my happiness knew no bound. My Sophie did remember my birthday and had sent me a gift. Did that mean she will forgive me?

I rushed to the the guestroom in hope that she did left me a note like she always did.

But there was my nighmare. On the nightstand she had left our wedding band.

Then it hit me. She had really left me. Alone to deal with this world. She was no longer by my side. I let her go.

Before I could even open the gift my phone rang again.

It was my Private Investigator.

"Sir, I have found the information you asked for on Mrs Smith. Sir she went to the same address daily for the past few weeks."

"Send it to me now."

Taking the car keys and Sophie's present with me I rushed to my car.

Entering the address in the GPS I headed to my destination.

Was it right for Xander to still question Sophie? Well I think it was. If you already lost your trust in someone its not easy to trust that person again. And also the sentence that Sophie said, though her intention was completely different, had it been anyone they would understand it differently. But the only mistake here was it was not anyone but her husband. He should have known better.