Chapter Three│Safe and Sound

©APOORVA2015

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Apoorva. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Don't you dare look out your window darling
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby
Even when the music's gone

---Chapter Three---

She did not stop until she found Ved, hoping they would leave soon. She was upset now, annoyed even, and pledging to never come back again.

But she always did that. She always said she would reject the train tickets that came by mail and would say that she was unwell. She always said she will find a man who will be caring, who will be around in blood and flesh and not just in her head, and try to forget Him. She always swore that she would never talk to Him again and go somewhere far away...but she always plotted that, never did. What she really did, was that she started counting days as soon as she got back and marked the next meeting date on the calendar. She would jot down all the romantic lines that came to her mind, thinking she will say these to Him someday. She literally danced the day she received the tickets, would not be able to sleep at night out of excitement and would buy an expensive dress to wear for the day. She tried to find a man, but everyone reminded her of Him.

"Looking for me?" Ved appeared out of no where

"Yes," she plainly said, "Looking for you."

"Great!" Ved exclaimed, "Now, do you want to go out for dinner? I am starving."

"Yes," she cleared her throat

They walked down the exit. Most of the friends had left before and the rest are walking ahead of them.

"So...did you talk to him? Personally?" Ved calmly asked, hoping she did not

"Ugh," she hesitated, "no. I couldn't actually find him."

He relaxed. "That's odd," he made a face, "I thought-"

"Let's not think too much."

"I'm sorry."

"No," she said, "Don't be."

"Okay," he studied her face, "Let's be eating somewhere then."

He liked when she was around. She would always blush every now and then, be shy when she should be bold, laugh a little too hard, and cried as easily as she smiled. He held her hand, as she blushed and pulled it back.

"Is my touch too magical for you?" he grinned

"Stop it," she coyly replied

They walked down the stairs and Ved kept talking, trying to make her feel better.

Out of the blue, a deafening roar of bomb explosion shattered the silence. A slap of heat hit the back of her head and the debris flew in her direction like bullets. She stammered a few steps, then turned back and faced the building. Her pendent shook from the intensity of this assail.

"Oh freak!" Ved involuntarily said

The conflagration spread in the foyer, as nothing crossed the sight but the grand white neo-gothic building blazing with flames. Thick clouds of dense black smoke escaped through the windows and whirled in the air; everyone began to sprint away with fright. The Avicians with the ability of empathizing with the surroundings could feel the inferno, and collapsed on their knees squirming in agony as though their bodies were set on fire as well. The explosion scared her, just like every other who witnessed it. It bothered her. It bothered her because something jogged her memory. Her heart began to beat heavily.