Chapter Four│Elastic Heart

©APOORVA2015

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Apoorva. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And I want it, I want my life so bad
I'm doing everything I can
Then another one bites the dust
It's hard to lose a chosen one

                                               ---Chapter Four---

"Is she even alive?" someone asked

A spasm of pain ran all over Ekaa's torso. Her heart pounded heavily as she opened her eyes in haste and found someone sitting next to her on a wooden stool, caressing her hair. Her eyes surveyed the room instinctively. It had pink walls, pink curtains, pink closet, pink cushions and a lot of unfamiliar people, and as she doubtfully wondered, she believed the bed was pink too.

She involuntarily fixed her eyes on the person caressing her hair. He was Ved.

"It's okay. Everything's going to be alright," he politely said

Her brown eyes stared him with sudden fragility as his words did not make any sense to her.

"Ved, where is He?" the words came instantly but her throat ached as she spoke

He did not answer.

She pushed away the quilt and tried to adjust her pillow so as to straighten her back. Her body ached. She let out an anguished cry and Ved stood up at once.

"Don't get up, you're injured," he said, as he helped her lie down again.

"Where is He?" she asked again, looking at him, "We have Him, right?"

Ved looked around and exchanged a look with others standing against the bed, as though secretly agreeing upon something. She observed him.

She looked around and found those people eyeing her sympathetically. One…two…three...four. There were four of them; only one of whom she knew. They stood at the edge of the bed she was lying on, and she was right- the bed and the quilt were pink too.

"Tell me?" she asked, "Where is He? Is He okay?"

There was no reply, only an ominous silence. She panicked.

"Ved, tell me?" she pleaded, her throat paining and burning at the same time

"Ekaa…" he sadly said

"Yes?" she said, gathering all her strength to push the quilt away

Her body appeared to be heavy.

"No, please don't do that," he said, staring her leg

She followed his gaze; she sat there frozen.

Her left leg lay plastered and unresponsive. She tried to move it, but she could not. It felt as though her muscles could not bear its heavy burden. She wanted to scream; visually looking at it, she restored more agony. She looked at Ved with helplessness.

"It's been a week. You..." he took a deep breath, "...injured your leg in the blast and…"

He paused. There was deafening silence.

"C'mon Ved…" a girl with dyed red hair said, "…just tell her and get over it."

"Sshh Rati!" another stopped her.

"C'mon Yumi," Rati said, "she will know it anyway..."

"Shut up, Rati!" Ved shouted on her

She grew impatient.